Review for Tralee

For me, Tralee will be an unforgettable experience, I have only played the course once, but it was in a howling gale and it was brutally tough... so tough that the balls were blowing off some of the greens. It was virtually unplayable. That said, Tralee holds your interest all the way round. The first nine holes have stunning views, but they're not quite the real thing. The front nine reminded me of the Devlin course at St Andrews Bay, especially with the stone walls and cliff side setting. The back nine on the other hand is simply superb links golf and has become my favourite back nine in all golf, pushing Hillside into 2nd place. The unfortunate thing about Tralee is that the two nines don't fit together very well. If I owned the course (and had lots of money and the land) I'd build two more nines, one in the dunes and another along the cliffs making two joined up courses. Tralee would then be a comparable 36-hole complex to Ballybunion. Loved the "ready to go" breakfast rolls at the turn...

Date: October 03, 2005