Tramore Golf Club was formed in 1894 when nine holes were fashioned on links land beside the old racecourse in the Back Strand. The original members fought a constant battle against the sea which threatened to engulf their course. Finally, after almost half a century of fighting nature, the club beat a retreat further inland to their present location at Newtown Hill where H.C.C. Tippet (Secretary at Royal Wimbledon Golf Club in 1927) laid out a new 18-hole course. Commander John Harris later made further modifications, including bunkering, and little has since changed.
The club is now looking to the future and, in 2006 a bold plan was drawn up to extend the course to 27 holes and the work completed in 2012, which included the remodeling the old course with greens converted to USGA specifications and additional fairway bunkers installed. Jeff Howes Golf Design (involved in construction and redevelopment work at many Irish courses, including the Island, Mount Juliet and Fota Island) carried out the major redevelopment work here at Tramore.
Situated to the south of Waterford, with the Comeragh Mountains in the background, Tramore is a parkland course built on rolling terrain with many fairways framed by mature stands of trees. The course has been used for various GUI competitions over the years including the Seniors Cup in 1976, 1984 and 1996 and the Close Amateur in 1987 and 2003.
Tramore is a great test of golf and many consider the 378-yard, severe right dogleg, par four, 4th as its best hole because it calls for two long carries over gorse and rough ground to a green where two putts for par will have you walking on air!
May 27, 2008