Review for Trevose (Championship)

Played on 3rd April using Devn County Card so half price green fee. had heard lots about Trevose from fellow members at my Club, also a Harry Colt design course, Thurlestone in Devon. Due to traffic delays we arrived later than hoped for and very helpful staff rebooked a later start so we could get lunch. This was excellent and good value too. Drinks are reasonably priced. The clubhouse is very impressive and must be one of the nicest in the SW England. There must be a great view from lounge unfortunately it was very poor vis throughout our visit.Staff very friendly and a nice Pro Shop.When we went ou to play the visibility never got above 250 yrds ( and mostly less) until we had hit our second shots on the 18th so I cannot comment on the views. Luckily my son had played here before so we had some idea of line if not length as our Bushnell Laser was well fooled by the fog.The playing surface is great and the general preparation of the course is of a high order. The holes are testing but fair and I cannot wait to get back later in the year so I can see the whole layout. Colt's design is a great balance. This,IMHO, is far and away a better golf course than nearby St Enodoc. The bunkering is tremendous and seems to have recently been very thoughtfully redone. The rough is penal to a wayward shot but not ridiculously so, the only reason I lost a ball was due to not seeing it land because of the fog.The pace of play was excellent considering the conditions though I suspect it might be slow in Summer.The only thing that stops me giving this an Albatross rating was the fact that we were not advised that the greens were being topdressed. this was a pity as the contouring of the greens was a treat. Still managed to hole some good puts though.A must play.

Date: April 02, 2008

Read all reviews about Trevose (Championship)