Review for Trump Turnberry (Ailsa)

I played Turnberry last summer just after it reopened and whilst I can't comment on what the course was like before, it is without doubt the most visually stunning course I have ever played. It was blowing about 25mph straight off the left on the range, so I headed to the first tee slightly nervy about where the ball might end up! The first three holes are challenging and pleasing on the eye, but it's the 4th where things really take off as you hit the ocean front. Great hole succeeds great hole and the greens are just incredibly located, with the tee shots on 9, 10 and 11 some of my best golfing experiences. It was a bit of a shame when we turned away from the coast and I did find 12 through 16 a bit of a let down, but probably only compared to what had come before. The finish is excellent though and I had the delight of landing my drive just next to the Tom Watson plaque, before going over the green to the exact spot he had in 2009, only to actually make the up and down - it really does send shivers down your spine and it's an amazing end to the round.

It's also worth mentioning the facilities, which are second-to-none. I pretty much had the chipping and pitching greens to myself and I would recommend you give yourself a good 2 hours to soak it all in. The whole experience is just special and whilst I don't think it's consistently the best 18 holes in the area (Western Gailes is, for my money), the high points are the best on any course, anywhere.

Date: July 30, 2017

Read all reviews about Trump Turnberry (Ailsa)