Review for Trump Turnberry (Ailsa)

I played Turnberry 2 years ago on a golf trip with American friends. I had very mixed feelings about it because of my distaste for the current owner. But setting those feelings aside and focusing on the golf course it was enjoyable and a real test. That said I think that the setting ( lighthouse, sea views, Ailsa Craig ) perhaps influences more positive views of the course than are warranted. I though the opening holes a little pedestrian and the finish too (particularly the last) - although I have nothing against straightforward 18th holes because they tend to work rather well for places like Troon and Lytham ( birdies opportunities!). The stretch of holes along the coast line are terrific though. I was surprised by the changes of elevation on the back nine but they didn’t inspire me. I played Troon and Western Gailes on the same trip and enjoyed both more and that was despite round being played in pouring rain (played Turnberry in blazing sunshine and played my best golf of trip). I can also remember the holes on those courses far better. Of the links courses I have played I can’t see how it can be ranked above Birkdale or RSG.

Date: August 11, 2020

Read all reviews about Trump Turnberry (Ailsa)