Review for Trump Turnberry (Ailsa)

Turnberry is indeed a classy course but I feel it is only just worthy of a 6 ball rating. I do not agree that it is the best in Scotland, 2nd in the UK or 5th in the world. Firstly the condition was pretty scrappy. The greens, although true, were patchy and slightly uneasy on the eye. Some of the rough was untidy and in comparison to the immaculate Royal Troon which we played the day before, Turnberry did not compare favourably. Secondly, I found the card of the course quite bizzare. Off whites, it is a 6700 yard par 69 and there is no par 5 until the 17th. The front 9 contains two sets of VERY similar holes (4 & 6 are almost identical, as are 5,7 &8) although t should be said that these are all very good holes (particularly the 5th). The signature 9th is only truly spectacular from the Championship tees (which are not in play). The back 9 is hard to fault with 15th, 16th and 17th being particular standouts. Dissapointingly, the 18th from the whites is nothing like the hole that the pros play (its completely straight compared to the 90deg dogleg from the championship tees). In summary, no one will be surprised to hear that this is a great golf course, but for me there are several better in Scotland and I find the condition quite inexcusable given the amount of green fee revenue that they recieve.

Date: May 04, 2011

Read all reviews about Trump Turnberry (Ailsa)