Ulverstone Golf Club was formed in 1911, when thirteen members agreed to pay an annual subscription of five shillings for gentlemen or two shillings and sixpence for ladies. Three weeks after the founders meeting, a five-hole layout was in operation at Fairway Park, overlooking Buttons Beach.
The course was extended to nine holes when more land became available in 1922 but there was never enough room to build an 18-hole layout. A decision was then made in the early 1960s to purchase a property further inland, close to the River Leven, with Al Howard providing plans for the new set-up.
For more than a decade, volunteer members helped carve the course out of dense woodland under the direction of greenkeeper Tom Britton, while his assistant Wayne Porter looked after business 9 kilometres away on the original coastal site. The club finally decamped to its new location in 1976 and has never looked back since.
Ulverstone has hosted a number of important state and national competitions, including three Tasmanian Men’s Championships (1996, 2000, 2002), two Tasmanian Women’s Championships (2002, 2005), and the Australian Junior Girls’ Championship in 2006 and 2010.