Originally founded as Vancouver Golf and Country Club in 1910, Vancouver Golf Club (which changed to its present name in 1941) is the proud owner of a championship course that’s set out in a wooded, parkland setting extending to more than 175 acres.
When first established within an old sheep farm to the west of Blue Mountain, the course was thought to be located quite a way from the centre of Vancouver but, with the spread of the city down the years, it’s now regarded as enjoying a convenient situation in the heart of the Lower Mainland.
The front nine holes are laid out on undulating terrain that affords a number of elevation changes during the round whilst the back nine is routed around a flatter landscape that, apart from the redesign of the 17th and 18th holes in 1972, remains largely unaltered in over a hundred years.
The club celebrated its centenary in 2012 by hosting the Canadian Women’s Open, an event won by young New Zealander, Lydia Ko. This was actually the third time that the LPGA Tour had brought the event to the club as it had been staged here in 1988 (when Sally Little won) and in 1991, when Nancy Scraton claimed the top title for professional ladies in Canada.In 1985, Australia’s Peter Thomson also won the short lived Canada Senior Open Championship at Vancouver, in the 5th edition of a competition that only ran twelve times between 1981 and 2002.