Victoria National - Indiana - USA

Indiana (IN) 47630,

• Tom Rose

• Tom Fazio

• Adam Lash

Victoria National Golf Club rose like a phoenix from the ashes of an old coal mine and it was laid out in 1998 by Tom Fazio who made the vision of the founder, Terry Friedman, an exciting reality.

With ravines and almost as much deep water to negotiate as tumbling fairway, Victoria National is an exacting and spectacular test. It’s one of the most visually stunning courses in the USA and its tee to green conditioning is truly magnificent with greens and tees of bent grass and blended bluegrass making the rough not only very difficult from which to play, but also visually attractive.

Select your tee carefully, with six tee blocks to choose from, it could be either be a day of sheer enjoyment or a day of the watery golf ball grave.

Reviews for Victoria National

Description: Victoria National Golf Club rose like a phoenix from the ashes of an old coal mine and it was laid out in 1998 by Tom Fazio... Rating: 5.7 out of 6 Reviews: 3

Victoria National is one of Tom Fazio's best works. It is challenging off the tee, approach shots are not easy (due to the thick rough), and the greens are tough in spots. The par 3s get a lot of the attention, but the par 5s are even better.

June 09, 2018

Victoria National is one of the courses that I was able to get on with a phone call from the pro at my club. It was founded by Terry Friedman, who had bought a former coal mine with a golf course in mind. If you had asked me whether I was in favour of strip-mining a few weeks before my visit, I would have said, “No way.” But I have seen what Tom Fazio did with a former strip mine, and it’s fantastic. This is a tremendous example of turning lemons into lemonade…

Victoria National has only 52 bunkers, but it has 114 different tee boxes. Relatively small amounts of dirt were removed here, and water comes into play on 15 holes, so sand bunkers become less relevant under those circumstances. Many of the holes run parallel to the spoils mounds, which creates lots of privacy from hole to hole. The cart paths are almost invisible (due to Fazio’s great skill), and people paths make this a very walkable course. The course is not connected with any housing development, which is unusual in golf course construction today…

I didn’t play my best at Victoria National, but I remember standing on the 16th tee after I hit my tee shot into a stripper pit and declaring proudly that it was the first ball I had lost that day. Terry made me feel a little better when he said that the first time he played Victoria National he lost seven balls. Today, Terry shot two under par... I loved this course, and it is easily in my Top 10. Larry Berle
December 03, 2014

Keith Baxter
December 03, 2014
The above review is an edited extract from A Golfer’s Dream, which has been reproduced with the author’s kind permission. A Golfer’s Dream, by Larry Berle, tells the story of how a regular guy conquered America’s Top 100 Golf Courses (following Golf Digest’s 2001/2002 list). Larry has exclusively rated for us every course in the hundred, using our golf ball rating system. However, Larry did not rate the 100 courses against every golf course he has played, but instead he rated them in relation to each other within the hundred. Consequently, in some cases, his rating may seem rather low. A Golfer’s Dream is available in Kindle format and also on Kindle Unlimited via Amazon... click the link for more.
I must say that I was very fortunate to have gotten the opportunity to even step foot on this course, let alone play it. The first thing you will notice is the profound beauty of this course, even if you don't play the course, to be able to walk it would be a gift in itself. As for the play, I have to say this is a very difficult course. I'm a +4 hdcp and played the tecumseh tees (2nd longest), and the course was a handful, where accuracy will definitely reward you, since the rough is so dense. Outside of the rough being such a handful , the course is absolutely immaculate, perfect fairways and greens. Its too bad this is a private course, because this course is an oasis that very few people get to enjoy. All I can say is find a member and beg them to take you, it would be very well worth ones while.
February 25, 2010