Vilamoura (Victoria) - Algarve - Portugal

Victoria Course,
Caminho da Fonte do Ulme,
8125-406 Vilamoura,
Portugal

After an investment of €18m in 2004, the fifth golf course at Vilamoura opened for play. Arnold Palmer designed the Victoria and it’s a big layout that was built with tournament play in mind. One year after opening, the course hosted the WGC World Cup, which resulted in a Stephen Dodd and Bradley Dredge Welsh team victory.

In 2007, Oceânico Golf, former owners and operators of a group of seven Vilamoura courses, secured the inaugural Portugal Masters. Englishman Steve Webster won the first event with an impressive 25 under par total. The Portugal Masters has been held on the Victoria course ever since.

In some ways, the Victoria is similar to the South course at the K Club, but naturally the weather here on the Algarve is much warmer. The hazards are severe and you may settle for the safe option and a few three putts by aiming to hit these huge, fast and undulating greens in regulation. Keeping out of the numerous water hazards and the threatening bunkers will pay dividends on this relatively flat course.

In 2016, the operator Dom Pedro Golf acquired five courses from Oceânico Golf: Vilamoura Old Course, Victoria, Pinhal, Laguna and Millennium.

Reviews for Vilamoura (Victoria)

Description: After an investment of €18m in 2004, the fifth golf course at Vilamoura opened for play. Arnold Palmer designed the Victoria and it’s a big layout that was built with tournament play in mind. Rating: 6.7 out of 10 Reviews: 35
m reed
have played a few courses on the algarve lately, this is probably the biggest let down. I have considered playing the course for a few years and have always ended up somewhere else. The course is very open i have read a few reviews on the course and people have said it was particularly hard, well other than the 18th i really didnt think it was that tough and that was only because the wind was particularly stong into your face. I would say the course was ok, but there are far better value courses around to spend your hard earned cash on. By the way, if you are useing your sat nav to get to course put in directions to laguna and drive a little further down the road or you will end up at the back of club unable to get into complex.
June 16, 2013

richard
WHAT A SHOCKER !!Played this late October 2012 for the 2nd time - won't be going back . It had rained that hard that all the bunker sand had been washed off the faces into the bottom , which were 3 ft deep in water . No attempt was made to make them out of play under local rules . Fairways were that wet that it was impossible to take a drop as there was nowhere to go . They must be so desperate for money that they were willing to put us out rather than re-fund the ( high) green fee ! It will be the last they see of my money !!My criticism last time a played still stands - so many different wildfowl on the course that it's a struggle to find your ball amongst the white feathers . Warning ! Don't lick your balls - never seen so much bird poo on a fairway in my life !I repeat , avoid like the plague .......
November 14, 2012

Steve Mottram
Having seen the Portugal Masters on Sky several times I was really looking forward to playing the Victoria Course, but I have to say that in my view it doesn’t live up to the hype. Clubhouse aside, the surroundings can only be described as bland. The rough was horrendous and in parts scruffy, and although the greens and fairways were in excellent condition they couldn’t make up for the feeling of disappointment I felt after both rounds - we played it twice to make sure!Victoria is difficult, and yes, in case you’re wondering, I did have two stinkers! However, I have had stinkers before on difficult courses, but have still come off the course with a smile on my face having thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and the experience. I couldn’t say that about the Victoria Course. Still, at least the weather was good!So unless you’re happy to spend most of your time looking for balls in bland surroundings, I’d suggest you give this a miss and go and play the Old Course instead!
November 02, 2012

Cédric
My experience on the day in not worth the 6 balls I'm awarding to this course for 3 reasons: 1/ slow greens (understandable since the are having the Portugese Masters next week and want to protect them), 2/ all back tees moved forward (same explanation as nr.1), 3/ a 15.00 tee off time in early October made us play 18th in the dark. But you have got to feel the potential of that place! A cracking course. Yes, the surroundings are not the prettiest but the course itself is fantastic, especially the back 9. Definitely the best Vilamoura course in my books, by a country mile. I'll definitely return! Cedric
October 06, 2012

malcolm roberts
Fabulous course,played here in June 2011. Excellent condition, difficult but fair as there is always a "bail out" area for the amateur unlike some so called championship courses. Lots of water on the back 9 but there is always a way round, great holiday golf. The 7th, 11th, 13th, 17th and 18th stick in the memory as great golf holes. Well worth the green fee.
October 13, 2011

mike J
Played the course in March 2011. !st day for buggies after a prolonged spell of rain. The general condition of the course was good, greens are true and despite the rain quick. An already long coures played even longer due to the soft underfoot conditons. The back 9 are particularly challenging and give you a feel of just how good modern Pro golfers are. I would recommend anyone to play this course although shorter hitters my struggle to reach many fairways
March 27, 2011

hywyn williams
Just played the Victoria course (March 9th) and have to say it was one of the most humbling golf days i've had! Having seen the pros play and score 4 or 5 under on this course on Sky, I now know how good they really are. This is one of the best courses I have ever played and eventhough we had to walk the course due to a heavy overnight rain, the lack of buggies made you feel that this is how BIG courses sbould be played. It is a big course and with great holes. The fairways were in great condition and the greens fast. The holes from 10 on are as good as it gets and you are always in awe on how the guys on tv play these holes under par. I hit the best 3 wood of my life to reach the 18th in two, leaving a 3foot put for birdie. Missed the put, but made 4. Great course!
March 11, 2011

maarten
October 12, 2011
During last year's Portugal Masters Francesco Molinari shot TWO 62's in one week on this course...
Mark Knight
Firstly I will admit I had a far from perfect round, but I will say I have played better municipal courses. I played it on 19/02/11 and found the fairways to be inconsistently cut and some holes looked like meadow grass. I would agree with a previous cotributor that the front 9 is boring but the back 9 does get more interesting with more features. My playing partner and I concluded that Oceanico has a business to run and are playing this course to death. It's another one ticked off but I will not be rushing back.
March 02, 2011

Ryan McKnight

Played the Victoria on 6th November 2010. Overall a good test of golf. Front nine is pretty bland with the exception of the 7th - back nine more than makes up for it. This was the 2nd tiime have we played the course within 3 weeks of The Masters finishing. The greens were in poor condition which may be down to the amount of traffic on them. Fantastic pair of finishing holes. Would rank this course behind The Old, Villa Sol, Faldo and both of the Vale Do Lobo tracks in terms of overall enjoyment.

November 10, 2010

Ronan O'Driscoll

I just spent the last few weeks in the Algarve and thought Victoria was brilliant. It is so much better than any othe other Vilamoura courses, including the Old Course and is also in much better condition than any in the Quinta Do Lago area. We found Victoria long, interesting, challenging and fun. It certainly feels like a "stadium" course, perhaps similar in style to some of the Dubai courses but our experience overall was very positive.

August 10, 2010