Vilamoura (Victoria) - Algarve - Portugal

Victoria Course,
Caminho da Fonte do Ulme,
8125-406 Vilamoura,
Portugal

After an investment of €18m in 2004, the fifth golf course at Vilamoura opened for play. Arnold Palmer designed the Victoria and it’s a big layout that was built with tournament play in mind. One year after opening, the course hosted the WGC World Cup, which resulted in a Stephen Dodd and Bradley Dredge Welsh team victory.

In 2007, Oceânico Golf, former owners and operators of a group of seven Vilamoura courses, secured the inaugural Portugal Masters. Englishman Steve Webster won the first event with an impressive 25 under par total. The Portugal Masters has been held on the Victoria course ever since.

In some ways, the Victoria is similar to the South course at the K Club, but naturally the weather here on the Algarve is much warmer. The hazards are severe and you may settle for the safe option and a few three putts by aiming to hit these huge, fast and undulating greens in regulation. Keeping out of the numerous water hazards and the threatening bunkers will pay dividends on this relatively flat course.

In 2016, the operator Dom Pedro Golf acquired five courses from Oceânico Golf: Vilamoura Old Course, Victoria, Pinhal, Laguna and Millennium.

Reviews for Vilamoura (Victoria)

Description: After an investment of €18m in 2004, the fifth golf course at Vilamoura opened for play. Arnold Palmer designed the Victoria and it’s a big layout that was built with tournament play in mind. Rating: 6.6 out of 10 Reviews: 39
hywyn williams
Just played the Victoria course (March 9th) and have to say it was one of the most humbling golf days i've had! Having seen the pros play and score 4 or 5 under on this course on Sky, I now know how good they really are. This is one of the best courses I have ever played and eventhough we had to walk the course due to a heavy overnight rain, the lack of buggies made you feel that this is how BIG courses sbould be played. It is a big course and with great holes. The fairways were in great condition and the greens fast. The holes from 10 on are as good as it gets and you are always in awe on how the guys on tv play these holes under par. I hit the best 3 wood of my life to reach the 18th in two, leaving a 3foot put for birdie. Missed the put, but made 4. Great course!
March 11, 2011

maarten
October 12, 2011
During last year's Portugal Masters Francesco Molinari shot TWO 62's in one week on this course...
Mark Knight
Firstly I will admit I had a far from perfect round, but I will say I have played better municipal courses. I played it on 19/02/11 and found the fairways to be inconsistently cut and some holes looked like meadow grass. I would agree with a previous cotributor that the front 9 is boring but the back 9 does get more interesting with more features. My playing partner and I concluded that Oceanico has a business to run and are playing this course to death. It's another one ticked off but I will not be rushing back.
March 02, 2011

Ryan McKnight

Played the Victoria on 6th November 2010. Overall a good test of golf. Front nine is pretty bland with the exception of the 7th - back nine more than makes up for it. This was the 2nd tiime have we played the course within 3 weeks of The Masters finishing. The greens were in poor condition which may be down to the amount of traffic on them. Fantastic pair of finishing holes. Would rank this course behind The Old, Villa Sol, Faldo and both of the Vale Do Lobo tracks in terms of overall enjoyment.

November 10, 2010

Ronan O'Driscoll

I just spent the last few weeks in the Algarve and thought Victoria was brilliant. It is so much better than any othe other Vilamoura courses, including the Old Course and is also in much better condition than any in the Quinta Do Lago area. We found Victoria long, interesting, challenging and fun. It certainly feels like a "stadium" course, perhaps similar in style to some of the Dubai courses but our experience overall was very positive.

August 10, 2010

Steve Harrison
Totally diasagree with the "boring", "flat" and "just a stadium course" comments. We played there in May 2010 and the course was fabulous. Maybe not in as great nick as the Faldo course but still very true greens and a good test for good golfers. Many holes here where yo uhave to think about how to play the hole rather than automatically reaching for the driver. I play off 6 and shot a 76 (4 over) hitting 14 greens in regulation. Basically one of the best rounds I hve pout together and still couldnt get near par. Lots of fun, great facilities and the hotel is worth staying in too if you can get a good deal
May 09, 2010

marcus
May 10, 2010
I'm glad you played well but surely 6 balls is reserved for an outstanding golf course - Am i right in thinking this review is as much about how you played as the standard of the golf course? .
Steve
May 14, 2010
Thanks Marcus. It would be fair to say playing well (or badly) can influence how you view a course but all 4 of us shared the same view of Victoria. There is a lot of variety in the holes, and a number of holes where you have options from the tee, safe with a long 2nd, or a risk / reward tee shot for a short second. I cant think of one boring or fill in hole. The condition was excellent, pace was good, greens were true and for those reasons I think it deserves a 6.
John Moriarty
I have to agree with the positing that Victoria is boring. To my mind it is very much a formula course and could be anywhere in the world. Give me some of the older courses in the Algarve any day. Good course but I wouldn't be in a rush back to play it again.
April 24, 2010

Brendan McLaughlin
Course in great condition and requires thought as well as power. Really enjoyed it and would rate it on a par with Old and better than Faldo & O'Connor. A must play if staying in Vilamoura
March 20, 2010

Ady Keeble

I'm truly astonished that anyone should describe this course as boring, and equally shocked that so many think it inferior to Vilamoura Old. I have played the courses in this area on three occasions now as part of a party of eight (six single figure golfers and two off 10), and to a man we all rate Victoria the best, although we are yet to play the Faldo or O'Connor courses. It is a cracking test of golf, invariably in better condition that the over-played Old course, and much, much more difficult. That is why the Tour play here, although they do make it look easy! After a fairly gentle opening, the course gets progressively more difficult, with 17 and 18 being two of the best closing holes I have played. Anyone who knocks it on 18 in regulation deserves a pat on the back! Overall great course, top facilities and well worth the green fee. Don't be put off by those who dunked a couple of sleeves of balls in the water!!

December 06, 2009

mikkel rossberg
Played the course today and its in terrible state, they are working on it to prepare for the tour event. Its not worth 10 euros
August 12, 2009

steven dobinson
September 24, 2009
i totally agree - played this in mid september and it was still a mess - i think i'd put up with it if i was playing for thousands of euros though !!!!! the old course was an absolute beauty though
steven Baker
A tough course for the big hitter but nonetheless a fabulous track. Well thought out with bunkers and water just where you want to put your ball. Not as intimidating as I thought It was going to be as you can avoid water If you want to and can score well without having to hit It 300yds. mind you I think if you were bubba watson you'd murder It
March 21, 2009