Review for Wade Hampton

Wade Hampton has to go down as one of the most spectacular courses in the world. That might seem like a massive overstatement but the way the course winds its way through the stunning Blue Ridge mountains is truly breath-taking. I was lucky enough to play it in October when the Autumnal colours were at their most splendid. Throw in some sparkling mountain lakes and a spattering of wildlife and it really makes for a quite wonderful setting. The golf course certainly does the surroundings justice too. The opening tee shot playing down into a valley sets the scene for an immensely enjoyable 18 holes to follow. The par three 3rd, with its green tucked into the mountainside next to a small waterfall is a magnificent hole, and extremely demanding to boot. The course offers a real test of golf as the regularly changing undulations, direction of play, length and layout of holes etc ensure that very few of the same shots are played. I certainly seemed to use almost every club in the bag. I've been lucky enough to play numerous exceptional courses including the likes of Muirfield, Royal County Down, Sunningdale, Peachtree and Monte Rei, however if I had to choose one course to play for the rest of my life, I would have to say Wade Hampton would get the nod.

Date: October 08, 2014