Review for Wallasey

I played this historic links on July 12 on a breezy but sunny evening. I paid GBP 45.00 (half-price) using the online booking system on the website and the course more than justifies this price. Living relatively close by I had been keep to follow in the footsteps of Stableford for a while. On arrival a group of members were waiting on the 1st tee and cheerily beckoned me to tee off as I was playing hans solo. Without a warmup I managed to get aWallasey Golf Course - Photo by reviewer good drive away and tried my best to come up with a witty riposte as they joked that I better not slow them down! After stiffing my pitch I could relax on the 2nd tee and then ‘enjoy the walk’. Whilst being shorter than its Royal neighbor I found Wallasey trickier and ultimately more fun. The course reveals itself on the 4th tee and what a fantastic hole awaits matched by the 17th coming back in the opposite direction. The par 3s are fantastic with elevation changes and not overly long (apart from 16 which played into its teeth) and personally I prefer this. Holes 6,7,13 and 14 are in the flatter land away from the sea and whilst not as exciting as the others, I scored very well here being -2 for the four holes. The respite from elevation changes and mentally taxing shots was temporarily welcomed. However, every great course has a strong finish and 15-18 are just that. I saw a friendly fox on the 18th tee which improved what is an already fantastic view. The green overlooked by the old clubhouse and golfers supping on the patio makes for a fitting end to a fantastic golfing experience. The course was in good, not fantastic condition but playing here is all about the true links experience. My new favorite course in Cheshire.

Date: August 08, 2016