Walmley Golf Club got under way in 1902, with a 9-hole course in play on 20th December that year. By May of 1908, an 18-hole course had been established and a large Victorian house acquired to act as a clubhouse.
In 1962, the club bought the freehold of the property occupied by the course and a new modern clubhouse was constructed. Twenty years later, more land was purchased, allowing three new holes (2nd, 3rd and 4th) to be developed by Brian Huggett working with David Williams.
Today, the layout measures 6,603 yards from the back tees, playing to a par of 72, with holes arranged as two returning nines. On the shorter outward half, there are no par fives (and only one par three hole) while the inward half has three par fives, two of which are played consecutively at the 12th and 13th.
Highlight holes include the 153-yard 5th (“High Hopes”) where the tee shots plays over water to the green, the uphill short par four 10th (“President’s Spinney”), the left doglegging par five 16th (“The Corner”), and the 165-yard 18th (“Three Tears”) where the round ends on a three-tiered home green – hence the name chosen for the hole.