Review for Walton Heath (Old)

Played this great course on a baking hot July day. I felt it had all the attributes that you would expect from great courses – natural layout out, strategic bunkering, penal rough and heather, a varied selection of holes and ofcourse firm and true greens. I think the conditions made it even more links like and with the parched fairways I could make most of the holes in two and I’m not a long hitter and didn’t use the driver. Highlights were both of my playing partners getting eagles at the par 5 16th, one whose second shot basically needed another couple of millimetres for an Albatross, whilst the other guy rolled in a 40 footer (just in case you were wondering I only made par!). Great food and professional staff. Outside of the British Open courses I’m not sure if I have been to a club steeped in as much history – I won’t bore you with details – but if you know who have been members, who the club pros and captains have been then you will know what I mean and this is not forgetting the Ryder Cup. Any golf fan might want to check out the US team that year (1981) – virtually a whose who of American greats. One observation I made was that whilst Walton is a great course it made me realise just how good Woodhall Spa is because that is comfortably a better inland course. Still well worth the green fee though, when you think that another famous Ryder Cup venue (Belfry) is about £50 more and nowhere near as good.

Date: July 23, 2006

Read all reviews about Walton Heath (Old)