Review for Walton Heath (Old)

There is no doubting it is an impressive course. There are no weak holes on the course, but many very strong ones. I would say it is an outstanding course, but no outstanding holes. It is a flat piece of land, no hills, but with lots of undulations (I have no idea where the links comparison comes in, it's a bog standard English Heath!). Once you have crossed the road it is just a huge heath with flag poles sticking out of the ground in the distance. We were probably lucky in that the wind was blowing towards the M25 and not across it, so the roar was only deafening on 2 or 3 holes. Also the club house is isolated away from the course (how they police the course I have no idea) and the club house itself is an understated large cabin. I can see why they playbig competitions here because of the space and lack of weak holes, but as an average club golfer ........ it lacks soul and real stand out holes. I would play any of the three W's before this and this is no where near The Berkshire or Sunningdale. It seems harsh cristicism as it is a very fine course and I loved playing it, but then it has a reputation and it's own self belief to judge it against. Still a magnificent golf course, but certainly not worth £125 a round. Tick it off the list and move on. That is what I have done and since it is only 40mins down the road from me it has taken a long while to do this.

Date: July 30, 2011

Read all reviews about Walton Heath (Old)