Review for Warren - Dawlish

I have always been a big fan of The Warren - for me it's a very relaxed seaside links with some excellent views across the estuary. However my recent visit was to a place that appears to be in significant decline and left me wondering what the future holds for this great little course.First the good points: - £20 for a visitors green fee is good value in anyone's book.- the greens as always were in good condition and offered just enough give to get some stop on the ball. - Additionally, the weather was perfect and as such the views were superb.Now for the bad bits:- pro shop closed. Not great when you only have 3 balls in your bag on a course that has its fair share of gorse bushes. Luckily I hit it pretty straight.- bunkers in shocking condition - most of the ones I visited looked like a herd of elephants had been through them- fairways on the front nine in particular were in a very poor state. I know it's a links course and they should be nice and brown, they shouldn't however be full of rabbit scrapes, big cracks, scruffy grass and weeds. The back 9 in general was in much better condition.Overall, the place has the feel of club that is struggling, which is a real shame, because with a little TLC it could be a gem.I hope to return next year and be able to write a more positive review.

Date: July 28, 2014