Warren - Indiana - USA

Warren Golf Course,
110 Warren Golf Course Clubhouse,
Notre Dame,
Indiana (IN) 46556,

Officially opened on 1st May 2000, the William K. and Natalie O. Warren Golf Course at Notre Dame came about thanks to the generosity of alumnus William K. Warren Jr. The 18-hole layout is named in honour of Bill’s parents, combining his three great loves – family, golf and Notre Dame – and his magnanimity has also contributed to more recent course improvements.

Designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, the Warren Course nestles among 250 acres of woodlands on the north edge of the campus, within a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary. Host venue for the 2010 US Women’s Amateur Public Links championship, it was also used for the fortieth edition of the US Senior Open Championship in 2019.

The course is the home to the Notre Dame men’s and women’s golf programs and it has hosted a number of college competitions, such as the 2005 and 2010 NCAA Division I Men’s Regionals and the 2011 and 2015 NCAA Division I Women’s Regionals. In 2010, David Chung led Stanford University to the Central Regional title and a place in the NCAA Championship field. Three months later, Chung was the runner-up in the US Amateur Championship.

Reviews for Warren

Description: Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore laid out the Warren golf course at Notre Dame in 1999 and it has since hosted a number of high profile competitions, and will host the U.S. Senior Open Championship in 2019. Rating: 8 out of 10 Reviews: 4
Larry Jacobs

Super Impressive on Notre Dame Campus. Difficult Greens, most undulated greens I have played. Bring the putter! Good layout, must avoid the fescue (or junk as I call it) in order to have a good score.

December 03, 2019

Zachary

Cool Course, Friendly staff. Well maintained fairways the greens where good as well. Not particularly quick but well maintained. The course is great, lots of nice scenery. Challenging and one has to do a risk reward evaluation on many shots. Would I play Warren again? Yes . Would I come from afar to play Warren? Hard question if your in the area 2-3 hours away I would give it a look. Anywhere further and its just not worth the drive.

October 03, 2019

Niall

This is the second best 18-hole campus course I’ve played – only Yale is better in my opinion. Just like everything at the University of Notre Dame the golf course is perfect for the students and just about everyone else from beginners to the champions who will tee it up here next year for the 2019 US Senior Open. There are many things I liked about the Warren. It’s very easy on the eye and it’s a breeze to walk. There’s a great deal of class to a course that’s laid out on a relatively flat site. The only downside I’m told is that there are a few issues with the par four 18th due to flooding problems, but on the two occasions I played here the hole played as it should.

The front nine offers width, angles and options where most of the trouble is set around the smallish and well-protected greens. The back nine is where the action builds with some water in play and the closing three holes are very strong. I’d say my favorite is #16 which is a short par four where Juday Creek and bold fairway bunkering must be negotiated. It’s considered the signature hole and for good reason although I loved the elevated tee shot on #17 and the dogleg left closer, again with the creek in play is a brilliant way to finish.

The people here are just exceptional and I’d thoroughly recommend a visit to see this gem and if you’re in the area a 45-min drive down to Culver will present the best 9 hole campus course in the world.

July 10, 2018

regripped

The subtle parkland routing of the front nine gives way to a fantastic back nine capped off by a great stretch from 16-18. I have never played an English heathland course but I imagine this is as close as it gets in the US.

Fantastic routing around streams and ponds by Coore/Crenshaw and the conditions were some of the best I have seen in awhile. The greens are slick but not out of control and the back nine gets you fully enmeshed in a great woodland experience.

It will be interesting to see when the routing changes for the Senior US Open if they keep the routing for the day players as that may take the course to a higher level.

September 04, 2017