Stanley Thompson came to Waskesiu in 1928 to work on a golf course for the newly established Prince Albert National Park. The routing plan was left with James Wood, the Park's first superintendent, who had previously been the assistant superintendent at Banff Springs. The Great Depression held up construction of the Waskesiu course until sufficient funds became available but work eventually got under way in 1934 and an 18-hole layout came into play shortly after.
Thompson came back in 1938 to make minor changes, then he returned in 1946 to suggest further improvements that would possibly allow the course to host a national championship. Some of these recommendations were implemented over the following few years but it took until the mid-1990s before Doug Carrick was called in to implement the improvements that had been mapped out fifty years earlier.
Today, the course extends to a modest overall length of 6,301 yards from the back tees, with only two par fives on the par 70 scorecard at the 6th and 8th holes. Highlights here include both par threes on the considerably longer outward half (at the 135-yard 2nd and 193-yard 4th) while the 427-yard 14th (one of only three par fours on the card measuring in excess of 380 yards) is the toughest hole to play after the turn, with the fairway narrowing considerably as it approaches a bunkerless green.