Review for Waverley Golf Club

Thank God for Tom Doak and his team, pointing out the marvel that is Waverley. Since playing Waverley, I've played many other similar courses in the Taranaki region to see if any of them captures the spectacular feeling that Waverley does, but sadly not. It stands alone as an incredible layout, and there's never been more than a couple other cars in the "parking lot" (grass field) when I've gone to play.

Every hole is unique and special, but especially 14 and 15 which I truly feel would be iconic at any other golf course. The design of 14 is just magnificent from tee to green (and I'm glad they removed the power poles now!). Every tee box is intelligently placed and it's a truly captivating layout from start to finish. Throw your expectations of a $15 country course out the window and come play Waverley. It's seriously worth the trip.

Holes 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17 and 18 are all outstanding designs, and naming those 11 holes is genuinely me trying to narrow down the best of the best. It's simply that good, and every hole is special. I would love to play a version of this course that had fast and true greens, but that might remove some of the charm. Don't judge a book by its cover!

Date: April 10, 2021