We-Ko-Pa (Saguaro) - Arizona - USA

We-Ko-Pa Golf Club,
18200 East Toh Vee Circle,
Fort McDowell,
Arizona 85264,

The We-Ko-Pa Golf Club lies to the north east of Scottsdale on a site developed by the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation and it offers daily fee golfers the use of two spectacular 18-hole layouts, the Cholla (opened in 2002) and the Saguaro (which debuted in 2006).

Situated on property totally untouched by residential or commercial buildings, the courses here offer a fantastic desert golf experience in the shadow of Red Mountain, Four Peaks and Superstitions.

As co-designer Ben Crenshaw said when talking about Saguaro: “this piece of land has some very interesting natural movement to it. I think this golf course will be pretty unique for the desert. People will be induced to play different shots and find solutions to new challenges when playing this course.”

Interestingly, the three par fives on the scorecard at holes 4, 8 and 14 are rated stroke index 1, 3 and 2 respectively so length really does matter in this instance in terms of scoring difficulty. The last of the four par threes is also a tough hole when played from a back tee that measures all of 255 yards to the green.

Reviews for We-Ko-Pa (Saguaro)

Description: The Saguaro course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club opened in December 2006 and it was the second course built at this stunning facility. Located to the north east of Scottsdale, on a site developed by the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation, it offers daily fee golfers the use of two spectacular layouts... Rating: 7.6 out of 10 Reviews: 12
Philip Runkel
Played the Saguaro course in early October, 2014 and really enjoyed it! The setting is beautiful and the course is well maintained. The routing is challenging and subtle and most holes provide more than one option for playing the hole. One of the things I really liked, not being a long hitter, was that there are a lot of shorter par 4s. Being shorter doesn't mean they are easy ... you are severely tempted to swing away with the driver, but I usually resisted that temptation and hit a long iron, got on in 2 and gladly took my par. My playing partner, however, was a big hitter and often went for it ... sometimes making birdie and sometimes making double bogey. I rode a cart this time, but next time will walk. Definitely looking forward to playing again. 13Index.
October 15, 2014

Petter Claesson
Played We-Ko-Pa (Saguaro) on Jan 12, 2011 and it was a great course in great condition. Both Fairways and Greens were probably in top 3 of the gratest I have ever played in terms of condition.the layout is also very good with wide fairways here length off the tee is definitely needed but where course management is also rewarded where many holes can be much easier if you place the ball on the right side of the fairway.The staff, shop and restaurant were also great.My only objections does not have to do with We-Ko-Pa but are more general comments applicalble to a lot of courses.- The Bermuda rough is all brown this time of year in the Phoenix area. It porbably makes the course easier but still takes away some of the experience.- It's difficult playing a great golf course in a desert landscape without thinking about how much resourses it must take to keep the course playable.But if you are in the Phoenix area, you should definitely try to get out on the Saguaro course at We-Ko-Pa
January 19, 2011