Wee Burn Country Club dates back to 1896 when George Strath from St Andrews set out a 6-hole course on forty-eight acres of leased farmland. A further three holes were soon added to the layout, once members had settled into their surroundings.
The club found it had no room to expand the number of holes in play to a full 18-hole course so, in 1923, a nearby 230-acre site was acquired and Devereux Emmet engaged to design a new layout.
Two years later, the architect unveiled the course to expectant members, all of whom were no doubt thrilled to find that the Stony Brook (a.k.a. “the wee burn”) wound its way through the new property, just as it did at the club’s old location.
Gene Sarazen officially opened the course and, such was the favour it found with the USGA, it went on to stage three Women’s Amateur Championships, won by Betty Jameson in 1939, Ann Quast in 1958 and Martha Wilkinson in 1970.Tom Fazio has carried out significant modifications at Wee Burn in recent years, with more than three thousand yards of stream and lake banks being renovated in the scope of this work.