Wellingborough Golf Club was founded in 1893 and Old Tom Morris laid out the club’s original course across three fields of what was then called Nest Farm. Thirty years later, the Notts professional Tom Williamson designed a new 9-hole course for the members in the northwest district of Wellingborough and the club remained there for more than fifty years.
Work on the present course within the grounds of Harrowden Hall began in 1972 and three years later the club moved the short couple of miles to its new location. Later, when the magnificent Hall was acquired as a clubhouse, the original Fred W. Hawtree layout was re-sequenced to position the 1st tee and the 18th green close to this impressive old 17th-century building.
The course has been further altered by converting two par threes and two par fives to testing par four holes. At the end of the 1990s, all the greens, bunkers and surrounds were re-laid and new drainage installed. The club then upgraded all the sand hazards in 2017, with William Swan supervising the reconstruction of forty-three bunkers using state of the art lining methods.