Review for Wentworth (West)

I returned to Wentworth last month and played the West course for the first time since the renovations. Clearly the West divides opinion with Colt purists furious about the changes, while other more open-minded golfers are delighted to try and tame a 21st century course that is an incredibly challenging test. For me (an out of practice mid handicapper), the West course was way too hard and I found it brutally tough, even from the yellow tees. I doff my cap to those professionals who make this course look easy.

I think, if my memory serves me well, that the heather is rather in decline and indeed the course is becoming even more parkland in nature, but the turf was dry and springy despite overnight torrential rain and the greens were true and fast.

Put me down as an admirer of the changes. I think the water feature, which has been significantly extended on the 8th hole, is simply stunning and the water in front of the 18th green has created a thought-provoking home hole.

Judging by some of the comments printed in reviews and responses on this website and recalling comments made by some of the Tour pros I was expecting a monstrosity. What I found was an improved West course that is still very much the West I fondly remembered but possessing even more features that are simply unforgettable.

If you want to play the most famous course in the country then you will have to dig deeply into your pocket, but it would appear that most golfers don’t pay the full green fee and some play here for free, in which case there is nothing whatsoever to moan about.

Date: July 02, 2014

Read all reviews about Wentworth (West)