Review for Wentworth (West)

I've played the West a number of times over the years, but not since the recent changes. It's a tough cookie this course, unless you're a low single digit player, don't even try to play from the back tees. Pick your set of tees as this course plays long, especially when soggy.

I have both topped and shanked a tee shot on the first to great delight of Sean, the starter. Sean is a wonderful guy. Oh, I've also hooked a tee shot onto the first tee of the East. Always shout Fore.

Anyway, I find that the course is a brute, it's too difficult for my liking. Once you hit the last 4 holes, I feel like I've been beaten over the head one too many times. I best enjoy the stretch of holes 4-8 leading to the halfway hut just before the 9th. The greens are fantastic and with the new sub-air system should play wonderfully all year round.

Before the renovations, I found the green complexes and the bunkers too tricked up. They sometimes really knock the stuffing out of you (16th green for example, or the 8th).

Given it's a private club, it's best to go with a member or get invited. I think there are some tee times but they run into the hundreds of pounds. For me, it's not worth it. I prefer the East, as it's more playable but overall if you have a limited time and budget, I think there are better places to play in the area.

Date: March 25, 2020

Read all reviews about Wentworth (West)