West Cliffs - Lisbon & Centre - Portugal

Portugal

• Francisco Cadete

• Cynthia Dye McGarey, Matt McGarey

• Francisco Cadete

Located an hour’s drive north of Lisbon on Portugal’s spectacular Silver Coast, West Cliffs is a Cynthia Dye design that first opened its doors to the golfing public in the summer of 2017.

Offering sweeping views of the Atlantic, Berlengas Islands and Óbidos Lagoon, this dramatic seaside layout has been laid out within a massive 200-hectare property consisting of rolling sand dunes and coastal vegetation.

Dye and her construction team worked closely with local government agencies to ensure minimum disruption to the environment, creating a well-balanced and sustainable links in a highly attractive location where it fits seamlessly into its natural surroundings.

The architect, niece of legendary golf architect Pete Dye, said: “With the Atlantic visible from every hole, West Cliffs is the most natural golf course site imaginable. One of the most impressive characteristics of the course is just how anchored it is to the native coastal environment."

“The terrain at West Cliffs is amazing. On the vast majority of the holes, it was only necessary to site the green complexes with a bit of shaping and then define the limits of grassing. For the most part, the course was already there waiting for us.”

The course sits in the heart of a new resort, which in time will offer residential opportunities and a future 5-star hotel. It’s currently managed by Praia D’El Rey which lies close to the West Cliffs site.

Measuring 6,382 metres from the back tees, the course plays to a par of 72. Greens are carpeted with 100% Pinehurst bentgrass, the fairways are a mix of Perrenial Ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass and Creeping Red Fescue whilst the rough contains a blend of different fescue grasses.

Configured as two returning 9-hole circuits, the layout features a fabulous set of par threes at holes 2, 5, 12 and 16. Back-to-back par fives at the 6th and 7th form the backbone of the front nine, with a pair of demanding par fours concluding the round at holes 17 and 18.

West Cliffs is set to become Cynthia Dye’s global masterpiece

Reviews for West Cliffs

Description: Located an hour’s drive north of Lisbon on Portugal’s spectacular Silver Coast, West Cliffs is a Cynthia Dye design that opened its doors to golfers in June 2017. Rating: 8.1 out of 10 Reviews: 29
Ian Truman

This is a hard review to write, as I hated the course. Being objective, its immaculate, and with a 5* clubhouse and facilities. But. But. But. Its horrible.

Its just too hard. I'm a sterotypical mid handicapper - anywhere between 10-16 on any given year. I've played well on hard courses in the past. This was just unfair.

The distance between perfection and a lost ball on West Cliffs is measured in feet/inches. I hit a drive on one par 5 that my playing partner remarked in mid air would either get me an eagle or a quadruple. It turned out to be the latter. This wasn't risk reward golf, it was risk golf. Every shot was a potential lost ball.

The issue isnt that the rough is penal (though it is), its that there is no semi/fringe rough, or what little there is adds no protection. I could have used nothing higher than a 7 iron and I would have been better off.

Just too hard.

September 15, 2020

Max Grahlher

Wow. That is probably the best way to give a one word summary.

The setting of the golf course is simply amazing sitting right on the stunning silver coast of Portugal. On the back nine the ocean is visible on almost every hole plus a few holes on the front nine as well. While the holes sitting right next to the ocean were built basically inside the dunes and are rather flat, the holes that are situated more inland are anything but flat. It plays like a mountain course at times. That adds to the great variety of holes even though it´s a links course which can tend to be one dimensional at times.

It´s a brilliant course and I´m very happy to have played a course designed by Cynthia Dye. Hope she will continue the legacy of her uncle. It was the first time in my life I played a more or less brand new golf course. The thing I liked most about it: You don´t necessarily need a 7000+ yard monster nowadays to make a course difficult. Yes: the par 5´s were fair to play since many of them are rather short, but many even shorter par 4´s were so difficult.

The course maintenance is absolutely over the top. The greens where so fast I could not believe it. A downhill put would literally give me the shakes. The greens are carpeted with bent grass which is so hard to adapt to. It´s amazing how short they cut the grass.

Enjoy your day at the course and make sure to take plenty of pictures. I´m sure there is nothing you played like this course. It´s crazy good and unique. But warning: The course is so incredibly difficult even on quite days. On one of the days I played it, the wind was blowing hard and while I still absolutely loved my time on the course, it was nearly unplayable. I didn´t even nearly break 100 playing off HCP 7. So even on easier conditions handicaps above 16-18 will have a hard time even getting the ball into play. And that´s not even only my personal opinion. That´s what other players told me in that handicap range.

This are is a world class golf destination in eyes and West Cliffs is the masterpiece. A must visit.

May 02, 2020

jim

Played in Feb 2020 in perfect weather conditions and I have to agree with previous reviews that the course set up is too difficult. There isnt any semi rough so you are either on the fairway or in powdery sand which is difficult to advance a ball from or lost in scrubland. Four of us played and we thought we played reasonably well but our best score was 27 stableford points. They need to reduce the severity of the rough and the greens or they will struggle to get repeat business. The day we played there were very few on the course in contrast to Praia del Rei which we played the following day.

March 02, 2020

Luciano Alfredo Diaz-Castrover
August 20, 2020

But Jim, your review does not seem to be fair. A difficult course does not mean that is not a great golf course... Carnoustie, European Club, Valderrama and many others are examples of tough and brilliant courses. For me, West Cliffs is a MUST play in Portugal.

Dan Hare
August 22, 2020

Luciano, whilst Jim's review is too low, I've played Carnoustie and European and whilst they are difficult courses you still generally have a chance of recovering from a mistake for a bogie. At West Cliffs a mistake usually resulted in a lost ball.

Richard Spacey

I played here on a wet & windy January morning, for the time of year this course is in as good condition as anywhere I’ve played. The fairways were firm and the greens soft and try, and for January lightening quick, most courses in the UK in peak season don’t have greens like this. On the negative side I played off the whites and some may find it a little short but this is a great course with friendly, attentive staff that is well worth a visit.

January 29, 2020

Todd Lindsay

Had read so much about West Cliffs that my expectations were high and first impressions were certainly positive - fantastic vistas to the sea down the short par 4 10th hole. The back 9 is certainly the stronger and more attractive as it gradually climbs to higher ground. The views from the 14th and 18th tees are outstanding and make you want to launch good shots into the blue sky. The front 9 is, in comparison, good but a little more pedestrian and we found it difficult to warm to holes 1 - 4 (including the very tough SI 1 third hole), although the somewhat bonkers slopes on the par 3 5th did make us laugh / cry in equal measure. The combination of slope and wind made three putting a decent achievement and four of us are single figure players. And that rather sums up our experiences over two rounds at West Cliffs. We were delighted to have played it and very much enjoyed the natural beauty of the course and the setting but don't go expecting to relax and have fun. We played off sensible tees and it was still a proper, exacting challenge. Miss the fairway at your peril because the sand, gorse, heather and juicy vegetation will swallow your ball and wreck your calves. And if you do hit the green in regulation then don't start patting yourself on the back - if you are on the wrong section of the green then you'll be thinking about minimising the number of putts you'll take rather than necessarily holing it. A wonderful course that looks great in photos - but definitely not holiday golf. Play it but give yourself a break too and visit the other courses in the area, especially Praia del Rey.

October 26, 2019

Dan Hare

Played yesterday in perfect conditions and we were still beaten up by this beautiful, but uncompromising course. We buggied the 55 tees, and would follow an earlier tip to play the par 3 off the 59's. Not only are they wedge/9 irons, but are shot holes which as the donor I find infuriating ! It would be walkable, and we've walked similar layouts like Monte Rei, but a few times we were glad we had the buggy. West Cliffs Golf Course - Photo by reviewer Not walking, with circuitous paths, did make finding errant shots even more difficult, and there will be errant shots - first time up it's not clear where to hit, and knowing that missing the (generous) fairways will result in a lost ball allows gremlins to surface. Cynthia Dye has followed the Colonel Sanders approach of finding a unique blend of bushes and plants to make finding a golf ball almost impossible. We were warned that 4.5 hours was the norm, but we played through a couple of groups and finished in 4 hours. No great hardship in such beautiful surroundings, the course and scenery are as spectacular as you'll play anywhere, in perfect weather too. The greens were quick and fun, and only the 4th (?) was a bit bonkers. Lots of houses being built along the first, so enjoy the natural beauty while you can !

October 25, 2019

Handy Batsman

The Clubhouse is excellent, the facilities are good, the vistas are fabulous. On to the course itself - I have to say that for me it just isn't a golf course. I think it's great fun to play if you're part of a big group playing scramble but the greens are so overly sloped that it becomes a total lottery. You hit what appears to be a great approach and you're left with a literally impossible putt and 3 putts are the norm even for good single figure players. The par 3 5th needs some explaining too - I really have no idea what you're supposed to do there LOL! 'Blob and move on'.

The fringe/run-off areas aren't in great condition (at least they aren't in any way consistent) making for extremely hard chipping back onto the greens. The bunkers provide some of the most wicked plugging you will ever experience - to the point where given the extreme slopes of some of the bunker faces you actually will struggle to take a stance to play the shot at all. I had one where the sand all gave way under my feet and sent an avalanche onto the ball effectively losing it in the bunker!

The 55 tees are most realistic for a mixed handicap bunch but then the par 3's become way too short - therefore better to play 55 for 4/5s and 59 for 3's. God help you if you get stuck behind mixed groups playing the 59's or more!

All in all it is a must experience course but the greens are just way too sloped. If you like seeing a 15 - 20 foot birdie putt roll past the hole and off the green then great but that's not golf for me.

It has so many pros going for it that I just hope they consider modifying the greens as then it would become a true gem. I can't see what they are trying to achieve with the greens as they are - surely no tournament will ever go there with them like this - I can't imagine Augusta is as hard!

I would go back for sure as it is heaven in many ways - its just not .... it's just not really a golf course!

October 17, 2019

Tim Elliott

I had read all the reviews and couldn’t wait to play this highly regarded new golf course and in the two key areas expectation met up with reality. The layout and challenging nature of the course across ideal seaside and wooded terrain was outstanding, and the views out to sea and beauty of the on-course nature surrounds are probably as stunning as I have ever witnessed on a golf course. Most of the holes reflect the very best of modern design with the back-to-back par 5s on the front nine and the par 4 18th from a raised tee leaving unforgettable memories.

The golf course has been in existence for little more than 2 years and already suffers from heavy course traffic which means that it’s condition is good but not yet top class. It is pleasing to see a relatively modest green fee for such a prestigious new course, plus the opportunity for nearby Praia del Rey members to include it in their membership package, but it does mean that the course will take time to reach a perfect level of upkeep.

I do have a few minor gripes which prevent me giving West Cliffs the sort of rating which being No.2 in the Portuguese rankings (and only behind the clearly superior Monte Rei) I feel it should have, namely:

1. The par3s are all good holes, but not in any way memorable ones. From the ‘55 tees, which I suggest will be the most commonly used, they are all of similar length, and rather featureless.

2. The course is a long slog unless you are in a buggy, with many lengthy hikes between holes.

3. The greens, in my humble opinion, are over-designed with many undulations which make them extremely tricky for any but the best golfers. Fast greens are good but in places some of the slopes and run-offs are too severe, there is nothing wrong with flatter greens which reward good putting.

4. I fear that the wonderful ambience of the course is going to be destroyed by encroaching property development. Driving from the first tee to the cacophony of building noise on some adjacent developments was a shame, and seems to be a sign of a lot more to come.

I started by stating that this golfing land is very special and that the overall course design is clever and hugely challenging. I feel that if my concerns are properly addressed, or prove unfounded, in the coming years, please remember this is still a very young layout, then West Cliffs could become one of the best tracks in Europe.

October 11, 2019

erik k

I am clearly not as masochistic as some of the other reviewers here and I found West Cliffs somewhat of a slog. My review may be somewhat clouded by the fact that I carried my bag around the course which was an unedifying experience. I am not sure why the course has been routed the way it is. Whether the plan is to gradually fill in the gaps between the holes with houses (blah) or an attempt to maximise sea-views (I could understand that) I am not sure, but the course fails completely as a walking course. For some people that is no big deal, I know lots of courses in the area are similar but that does not mean its a good thing in my book. I really don't like taking a buggy but I probably would if I was back. Unfortunately the long, uphill walks between nearly every hole is my major memory of the course. Now, there are lots of good things about the course, there are lots of elevation changes, doglegs and a variety of shots needed, although there is sadly not a whole lot of room for the ground game. Most of the greens were sitting up or had to be approached via the aerial route so its target golf on half-linksy terrain. In some ways its like the Cashen Course at Ballybunion. The fairways are reasonably wide and you need to think about where to drive the ball but if you are off the fairway then its quite likely your ball is lost as these areas are covered in ankle height heather / scrub. The good news you will probably find as many balls as you lose. As has been said before the views are indeed amazing. I wonder if in time the natural look will be spoiled by more and more houses (like Praia down the road) so get there while you can. I would say the beauty of the area will become more and more sterile as the place is developed. It is a very challenging course and perhaps the low handicapper will enjoy it more than the average teen-handicap golfer. Take care in choosing your teebox and go at least one teebox shorter than you would normally take. There are 2/3 holes that require very long carries to get to the fairway with certain doom if you don't carry over 200 yards, depending on the wind. Overall I was a little disappointed in the course based on all the other positive reviews but it is certainly worth a visit if in the Lisbon area. Perhaps if I was in a buggy I might have enjoyed it more, but the long and arduous routing for walkers, the target/aerial nature of most of the green approaches took something away from the beautiful views. It's eye-candy golf but not my cup of tea.

October 08, 2019

Hendrik

Played here in early September, unfortunately on a rather grey day. Still, West Cliffs did not disappoint. The clubhouse and restaurant are lovely and the range is excellent. The little short game area is good, but limited to the shortest of pitches. But it represents the course well and what you will face later on.

We played as a two-ball in a buggy. Sadly, given the terrain and sometimes long walks between holes, I think a buggy is advisable. You could try a trolley but I wouldn't want to carry my bag.

This is no doubt a strong course with the propensity to beat you up if you fail to hit the fairway. The native land (similar to Monte Rei on the Algarve) is quite unforgiving and you might not find your ball, let alone have a shot. Take your medicine.

The day I played wasn't overly windy but when the wind is up, this course will be a test for your long game.

One thing to note, you should pick your tees well. We played of the 55s (or 59s) and enjoyed them. Listen to the starter and don't bite off too much. There are a number of forced carries that will make things hard for the higher handicapper off the tee. Pick your tees.

The greens are fine, often ample in size and offering different ways to reach them. They are quite undulating which sometimes leads to tricky long putts and iron shots rolling off if they don't fall into the right spot. I'm not a huge fan of too much undulation of the greens, especially when it comes to long par 3s or approach shots.

This is not a links course, more a course by the sea as I've read in earlier reviews. The setting is magnificent and you can catch the 'silver' sea from many points of the course. The nature around the course is gorgeous.

Overall, I very much enjoyed my round and will for sure come back. This is probably a place that you need to play a few times before getting the hang of it and given the wind conditions will throw various challenges at you.

I did not play the other courses in the area but combined I'm sure this part of Portugal is a destination in its own right and offers something different to the Algarve.

October 02, 2019