Review for West Cliffs

Played here in early September, unfortunately on a rather grey day. Still, West Cliffs did not disappoint. The clubhouse and restaurant are lovely and the range is excellent. The little short game area is good, but limited to the shortest of pitches. But it represents the course well and what you will face later on.

We played as a two-ball in a buggy. Sadly, given the terrain and sometimes long walks between holes, I think a buggy is advisable. You could try a trolley but I wouldn't want to carry my bag.

This is no doubt a strong course with the propensity to beat you up if you fail to hit the fairway. The native land (similar to Monte Rei on the Algarve) is quite unforgiving and you might not find your ball, let alone have a shot. Take your medicine.

The day I played wasn't overly windy but when the wind is up, this course will be a test for your long game.

One thing to note, you should pick your tees well. We played of the 55s (or 59s) and enjoyed them. Listen to the starter and don't bite off too much. There are a number of forced carries that will make things hard for the higher handicapper off the tee. Pick your tees.

The greens are fine, often ample in size and offering different ways to reach them. They are quite undulating which sometimes leads to tricky long putts and iron shots rolling off if they don't fall into the right spot. I'm not a huge fan of too much undulation of the greens, especially when it comes to long par 3s or approach shots.

This is not a links course, more a course by the sea as I've read in earlier reviews. The setting is magnificent and you can catch the 'silver' sea from many points of the course. The nature around the course is gorgeous.

Overall, I very much enjoyed my round and will for sure come back. This is probably a place that you need to play a few times before getting the hang of it and given the wind conditions will throw various challenges at you.

I did not play the other courses in the area but combined I'm sure this part of Portugal is a destination in its own right and offers something different to the Algarve.

Date: October 02, 2019