Review for West Hill

I have been sat debating on 5 or 5 and a half for this course for 5 minutes now. I gave Walton Heath a 5, but this course is my favourite style. I think on balance, trying not to be biased it deserves the same if not better! I'll stick to a 5 for now.. just!

Given our incredibly late tee time of 6:15pm, we had the whole course to ourselves. We just about managed to get round, having to watch with great intensity the ball flights of my playing partners on the 17th and 18th but oh my what a place! I've wanted to play Woking for a lot, and some would say they can't pick a favourite between this and that, I look forward to playing Woking on my next journey down if it's anything like this place!

I think I would always be a little biased because this is golfing haven for me. Whether it's a parkland with water or a heathland dotted with tall mature trees, I'm in awe all the way round. I would argue this even has more holes that I stood and could really admire from the tee than Walton Heath. The contouring land this course is laid out on gives a great balance of golf holes. Even going round a house which I found quite unique. I'm sure they get their fair share of golf balls in their gardens!

Again, there's no point talking about condition, everything I've found in Surrey and Hampshire so far (This will be my 5th) is nothing short of brilliant. It's a shock to see such consistent condition coming from Norfolk, where some can be good and some can be far from it.

There are a lot of really strong holes here for me. All consistent in quality but a few that stood out to me were 4,5,8 and 14. The first being a lovely looking par 3 in the first to head to head back towards the clubhouse before darting off in the opposite direction again with 5. You can't see much from the tee but make sure you're short of the heather! 8 is probably my favourite with great cross bunkering making it a difficult tee shot and the very difficult 14th which is very deceiving off the tee. 456 off the whites, and after thinking I'd hit one perfectly, I found myself in the left crap next to all the trees!

Overall, I can't really fault West Hill. I'm up to 28/100 at the time of writing and I'd probably call it one of my favourites to date. Well worth the trip, and a half decent twilight rate too!

Date: July 30, 2021