Woodville Gardens Golf Club started out in 1934 but it was forced to relocate in 1951 due to the post war building boom in Adelaide. On arrival at its new location close to Royal Adelaide and The Grange, the club changed its name to Riverside Golf Club, which subsequently became West Lakes Golf Club in 2011.
Partly open, partly tree-lined, the holes are laid out on sandy soil, with a good mix of straightaway and doglegging fairways that are carpeted in couch grass. Along with bent grass greens, these playing surfaces at West Lakes are of the highest order.
There have been many modifications to the layout over the years under the guidance of Neil Crafter. Latest changes include redesigns of the 4th, 5th, 16th, 17th and 18th, along with the introduction of new wetland areas along the eastern boundary of the property.