Review for West Lancashire

As with nearby Hillside, a game of two halves, although the differences are smaller at West Lancs. The front nine, nearer the sea is more austere. The back nine, especially the stretch between holes 12 to 15, offers a lot more vegetation and land movement.

I found that I liked the look of the front nine better, but rather than wishing that the whole course looked like that I felt that the variety actually enriches the course and makes it more memorable, although not all green sites on the back nine were to my liking.

West Lancs represents a different take on the links theme to its links brethren in the Southport area and I would put it as my 5th priority after the three Open venues and Formby when planning a tour to the area. In the real world of budgets and availability/time constraints, this means that it will go on the itinerary most of the time...

Finally, a plus is that you can take the train to the course. Hall Road station is probably as close to a club house as any train station in the UK. Keep this in mind if you wish to set up a car-independent itinerary!

Date: June 03, 2019