Review for West Sussex

As it is ranked in the Top 50 clearly this is a very good course - but is it as great as everybody seems to think. I have to say that I was slightly underwhelmed. Having read on this site about comparisons to Sunningdale Old, St George's Hill, Swinley Forest etc I arrived with big expectations. However, after 10 holes my partner and I were still wondering why this course was even in the Top 100 never mind the Top 50. Granted the course got better on the back nine but overall I would not classify this course in the same league as the aforementioned ones. The conditions may have influenced our view somewhat. We played it after a long dry spell and there was very little definition to the course. The fairways were bone dry and brown. The heather was brown and woody. I could imagine that at certain times of the year with the heather in full bloom that it might look stunning. But not the day we were there. I agree with other comments though about the length. The overall yardage may be short by modern standards but the course never felt short. With plenty of long par 3s and par 4s it there is plenty to test your game.

Date: July 29, 2010