West Sussex - Sussex - England

• Contact in advance – Not Tue am or Fri all day

• Alistair Adams

• Sir Guy Campbell and Major C K Hutchison

• Tim Packham

We make no apology for declaring that West Sussex Golf Club is one of our favourite inland courses. It is sheer delight to play golf on this charming sandy outcrop of heathland. The course occupies a priceless, stunning, undulating site on the northern edge of the South Downs.

In the scheme of things, West Sussex is a relative youngster, dating back to 1930. Commander G W Hillyard who moved down to Sussex from Leicestershire originally discovered the site. Sir Guy Campbell and Major C K Hutchison designed the course; these two architects created one of the most natural and aesthetically pleasing golf courses in England.

On the surface of it, West Sussex is a short course, measuring 6,355 yards from the tiger tees. The first hole, a short par 5, is the only easy birdie opportunity. After that, you’ll have to negotiate seven par 4s measuring over 400 yards. You will do very well to play to your handicap and it’s unlikely that you will get the impression that the course is short.

Clearly, this isn’t a championship golf course but it will provide a challenging and thought-provoking round for the very best golfers whilst remaining enjoyable for the higher handicapper. The holes wind their way through enchanting woodland, with oak, silver birch and pine providing a pretty backdrop and the heather and the cunning bunkering providing the definition. The colours, especially in autumn, are breathtaking.

Each hole demands thought and holds attention, there is a great deal of variation to the holes and many are memorable. There isn’t a signature hole as such, but we especially like the 6th, a 224-yard downhill par three with a pond lurking 40 yards in front of the green; to make matters worse, the whole area of pond is out-of-bounds.

In Golf Between Two Wars, Bernard Darwin wrote the following: “The day on which to see Pulborough, if not to play our best on it, is one when the wind is blowing hard, for the sand is wafted in great puffs, like white clouds across the course, so that we can scarcely believe that the sea is not round the corner… it is a little sandy jewel set in the Sussex clay… what more can anyone desire?”

Reviews for West Sussex

Description: West Sussex Golf Club is one of our favourite inland courses. It is sheer delight to play golf on this charming sandy outcrop of heathland. Rating: 5.4 out of 6 Reviews: 10

I recently completed a trip to Sandwich and London, taking in the great links at Deal, Prince's, Royal St. George's and Rye before proceeding towards London to take in some of the heathland and heather courses in Surrey. I was searching for a course to play on our last day, and my eye kept being drawn to West Sussex. Playing here was one of the best decisions I made on the trip. West Sussex has a definite links feel, not quite as open as Walton Heath but not as wooded as the Berkshire and St. George's Hill. There is only one par 5, which happens to be the opening hole, and the remaining par 3's and 4's are all outstanding holes. There are a number of blind shots, but the fairway bunkering is simply outstanding, especially on the back nine. In fact holes 13, 14, 16, 17 and 18 are par 4's that are as good as any I've played. The course is a bit out of the way in Pulborough, but the secretary and the staff were outstanding and freiendly, as were the members. Don't shun this course because of it's relatively short length; the par of 68 is a hard target to reach, even for a scratch golfer, and I can't imagine that anyone would not enjoy a day on this course. Richard Smith,Knoxville, Tennessee
August 07, 2008

Cedric
August 07, 2008
Looking forward to your reviews about the other courses you mention here!!
Richard Smith
August 08, 2008
I just finished posting my last review of the courses I mentioned. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed playing these great courses.
West Sussex deserves to be ranked higher it is right there with the best heathland courses in and around London. I found the course to be a lot of fun, with some elevation changes, some long holes, some short holes but overall the course is very demanding thanks to the heather and bunkers. The par 3's are all very good, there are certainly some memorable holes and shots around this place. On a windy day this place would show all of its teeth with all its heather, you need to hit the ball straight. I was welcomed as a visitor the head pro greeted me too it was a fun day. I will be back to play it again.
February 10, 2008

As a member of this club i have enjoyed endless magnificent rounds around this club, with each hole creating new challenges each time i play. The only slight problem i find is that it becomes rather hard to find courses that top this one!
November 26, 2007

Simply the most beautiful course I have had the pleasure to play. Don't miss it. The old world charm of the club house and it's rather antiquated ways only adds to the experience. Wonderful !!
August 09, 2007

Best course in the world. I am a member there and have been enjoying every moment of being a member for 2 years now. The people are just so nice and the bar and menu of food is just outstanding, for all good golfers, a must play. The course is in such good nick and is manicured to compltete perfection. The course is never closed and is never suffering from any kind of flooding. PLAY IT!
February 12, 2007

One of the unsung gems of English course featured on this website. Anyone who has not played here is missing a complete treat. Unfortunately it's a little of the beaten track at the very tip of the sand belt. For me it's last but definately not least. The gentle opener is the only easy birdie opportunity that comes far too soon for most but make the most if it as scoring on this dream course in not easy. I'd rather play West Sussex than any other of the heathland courses in the neck of the woods and perhaps only Swinley Forest and Sunningdale Old can give it a run for its money. Traditional maybe magnificent definately!
January 22, 2007

Marvellous, traditional and a quintessential English club with plus-fours, three hour rounds and foursomes... just how golf used to be played. Certainly, West Sussex as a club is better for being so traditional, but forget the club for a moment, it’s the course that’s the real thing and there's nothing much better for me anywhere in the world. It won’t test the tour pros but it will put a smile on every handicap golfer’s face.
March 10, 2006

West Sussex is quite beautiful and there’s nothing wrong with the course, just the fact that the club imposes playing restrictions – it’s a “two ball club” and visitors are expected to play singles or foursomes. I know these old clubs don’t want to upset the members and they want to keep the speed up but what happens if you’re a group of three visitors? The par threes are brilliant and the course has a really strong finish. Keep your eyes open for the gliders overhead, it’s a wonderful sight if they are out and about. In my view, one of the best, if not the best heathland course in the land. On par with St George's Hill for me.
April 22, 2005

I thoroughly enjoyed my round on the pure heathland layout but I'm sure I'm not alone when I came away thinking 'if only they could find another 300-400+ yards then they would have a fine Championship layout. It's difficulty definitely belies the Par 68 on the scorecard. What WSGC lacks in length is more than made up by strategic placement of heather and bunkers (especially on the doglegs) and I used my 3W and 3iron on a few holes to ensure I found the fairway. In particular I was impressed by the well renowned 6th but also long P3 12th and taken with the Par 4's = 13 and 14 were for mine the best stretch of holes on the course. The 4th and 5th were also lovely holes the later would be a great Par 3 (if only) it was a few yards longer ? 10 and 16 were also good doglegs left and right respectively. The course was well presented and overall the greens true and the only hole which I thought was 'lacking something' was the 1st which is a 'soft' opening hole. A classic heathland course - definitely worth a visit. KP 8.5
August 13, 2004

Totally beautiful, traditional and a thoroughly enjoyable test of golf. Could play here forever. It's hard to imagine a better course.
April 01, 2004