Review for Western Gailes

Western Gailes has been on my bucket list of courses for a very long time, ever since I first read Bernard Darwin. I finally played there on 2nd October on a perfect autumn day, with frost on the greens followed by a hot, hot sun. For a,lover of links golf, there can be few places as heavenly as Western Gailes on a warm autumn day, and two of our group decided that the welcome at the clubhouse was so warm that they would spend the afternoon on the terrace. The course was a surprise - I did not believe the hype that it could host an Open if it had better practice facilities and a better access road, but it's absolutely true. This course stands comparison with the famous Royal courses which I've played: St George's, Portrush, County Down, Dornoch and Cinque Ports. We played yellow tees in the morning and whites in the afternoon and they are very different experiences. I would recommend higher handicaps play off the yellows, otherwise you will be hitting 3 irons, not 7 irons into the greens. The greens are fantastic and each hole is memorable. What a wonderful place and thank you for all your hospitality during these difficult Covid times.

Date: October 06, 2020