Review for Western Gailes

This was my first experience of a (Scottish) top 20 course and initially I found it intimidating. Pulling up into the car park in my battered Peugeot 206 and being surrounded by Merc a BMW’s left me the sense that I did not belong here. This was quickly abated by the starter’s friendly and professional manner. However, my first glance of the course whetted my appetite and I was instantly in the mood to play golf. A superb drive on the first further relaxed me and as I meandered down the first fairway I began to absorb the quality that surrounded me. The first few holes contained undulations like I had never seen before. Although I had seen many Open’s on TV I simply had no appreciation of how difficult links golf could be with all the run off areas and uneven lies.I was so engrossed with the run of holes along the sea that I paid no mind to the cold and blustery conditions. The Par 3 7th to this day is perhaps the most inviting Tee shot I have ever taken on. If you have experience playing the higher rated championship links courses you maybe left wondering what all the hype is about. If you are venturing into the more upmarket courses for the first time this is the place to start.

Date: June 18, 2010