The Philadelphia area is chock full of classic golf courses that have either received or are waiting to receive a full renovation. White Manor Country Club’s course was not necessarily one of those. Built during 1948 by the father and son duo of William and David Gordon, the club later turned to Bobby Weed to transform the course into a style more befitting the historic golf region.
The result was something equally befitting of Tillinghast and Ross (ironically William Gordon handled course construction for Ross, Park Jr. and Emmet), featuring large, ruggedly-shaped sand hazards, as well as plateau greens that repel overzealous approach shots for a tricky chip back up. Weed’s heritage as an employee of Pete Dye also shines through at moments.
Early on, players will grapple with a set of centerline bunkers that pinch the left fairway at No. 4, which of course is the most straightforward approach into a well-guarded green. At just 402 yards, it hardly seems like it should play as a par 4.5, but those with shaky hands may play it as exactly such. Such centerlines, as well as water features including a creek running between the No. 11 and 12 holes, will make you think twice before every shot.