Founded in 1900, Wichita Country Club relocated thirteen years later to what is now MacDonald Golf Course, a municipal layout operated by the City Council. In the late 1940s, the club moved four miles west to its current location, with Bill Diddel setting out the course that remains in play today.
Tripp Davis renovated the tees at the club in 2014 and he returned two years later to install Better Billy Bunker liners and a new blended type of sand to improve drainage. The bunkers were also reshaped by Jason Gold and Landscapes Unlimited, recapturing the classic Diddel style that had gradually been eroded down the years.
Three national championships have been held at Wichita: the 1955 U.S. Women’s Open which Fay Crocker won with an aggregate score of 299; the 1969 U.S. Senior Amateur, with Curtis Person prevailing 1-up in the final match; and the 2010 U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur, when Meghan Bolget Stasi won the third of her four titles in this event.