Woburn (Marquess) - Buckinghamshire - England

• +44 (0) 1908 370756

• Jason O'Malley

• Ross McMurray, Clive Clark, Peter Alliss and Alex Hay

• Dan Grieve

Woburn Golf Club is in an enviable position. It's the only club in England that can claim to have had all three courses continually placed in the Top 100 since we became the first publication to rank England’s Top 100 Golf Courses back in 2006.

The Marquess course straddles the county boundary of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire and is set within 200 acres of majestic mature woodland, part of the delightful 3,000-acre Woburn Abbey estate, home of the Dukes of Bedford for over 350 years. Woburn Abbey is presently home for the Marquess of Tavistock and his family, the new course taking the name from his title.

It took a quartet of architects to develop the Marquess: Ross McMurray, Clive Clark, Peter Alliss and Alex Hay, the course opening for play in 2000. The Marquess is different in nature to the Duke’s and the Duchess, but perfectly complementary. The Marquess’ fairways are wider and the land more undulating The trees are more park-like, featuring oak, yew, chestnut, rowan and beech, whereas the other two courses are predominantly carved through pine forests.

The Marquess is a supremely challenging golf course, measuring well over 7,000 yards from the back tees. In 2001 and 2002, it stole the British Masters from its elder brother, the Duke's. Thomas Levet and Justin Rose respectively emerged as the winners.

There is absolutely no doubt that Woburn is a classy place to play golf and now with three superb golf courses – Duke's, Duchess and Marquess – it is one of the most desirable golfing venues in England. The Marquess course will surely mature into one of the best championship golf courses in Britain.

Reviews for Woburn (Marquess)

Description: The Marquess course at Woburn Golf Club straddles the county boundary of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire and is set within 200 acres of majestic mature woodland... Rating: 7.6 out of 10 Reviews: 38
Carl Tushingham
On my visit here I found the course in tip top condition, the greens were extremely fast and true, in fact if you get in the wrong place on these huge greens you are in serious danger of a 3 putt. The course has some stand out holes, but also some rather average one's such as the 1st and 18th and a poor set of par 3's except the very tough 214 yard 14th. On the plus side the great hole's out weigh these, look for the par 5 7th wtih the split fairway, the 9th an excellent par 4 which is more in keeping with the Duke's course here. This is a long tough course that demands respect, I personally prefer the Duke's course here, it has more character and is more pleasing on the eye. I must mention the excellent service you receive here and the amazing lunch, I look forward to returning again soon.
May 16, 2011

Rob Stewart
We played the Marquess in mid-March and were all very impressed with the condition of the course as a whole. The greens were fast, fairways perfect & tees in good condition. The course itself is an excellent test of all golf skills from the split fairway par 5 7th to the short but testy 12th through which a brook winds seemingly just where you'd want to play! The new clubhouse is coming along nicely & hopefully the Poulter room will live up to the billing when opened later in the Spring.
April 11, 2011

Andy Newmarch
Where has the time gone? The ‘new’ course at Woburn is now over ten years old (2000) – a true reminder that the older we all get, the quicker time flies! I have been lucky enough to play the Marquess once a year since the turn of the century and have always enjoyed the course immensely. My gut feeling is that something is changing though…I actually think the course is getting better – the natural growth and settling-in since opening seems to have been very successful. A gentle opening hole (par-4 around 350 yards) is a great way to start – a dog-legging par-5 is the second hole and a beauty. In fact the more I think of the front nine the more I think of at least eight cracking holes (the par-3 eight maybe the weakest). The back nine starts similarly to the front, with a not too tougher par-4 (which is nice especially after a welcome half-way hut stop) and then develops with a great collection of all hole types with my favourites being the short par-4 twelfth and the 200+ yard par-3 fourteenth. Woburn has always been a classy venue for nearly forty years (Duke's course 1974) but I get the feeling that steps are in place to improve the whole experience. Clubhouse renovations should be complete soon (May) which will take the surroundings and the off-course feeling to the next level. There are not too many three-course golf clubs in GB&I, the obvious ones being Wentworth, Gleneagles, Woburn, The Belfry and Celtic Manor…..In my opinion, it will always be tough to overtake Wentworth and Gleneagles but I really think that the Woburn experience is on the up and the gap is closing.
March 16, 2011

Paul Keen

What a venue! We played the day package of 2 rounds & lunch. We played Duke's in the morning which was terrific, home of so many tournaments. Bit short for the top young guns of today but still a great test and just a tranquill setting and the course was in great condition, fairways had good growth on them considering how warm it has been. Lunch was simply the best golfing cuisine I have experienced. 3 courses which were almost as big a highlight as the golf itself! You have to sample the beef & lamb! Then came The Marquess, I am baffled how this is not a tour event. I have played the London Club and its not a patch on Woburn! Nice starting hole, par 4 followed by dogleg 5 reachable if you hit to the corner. Then it gets tougher!! Highlight is 7, great 5 with trees in the middle of the fairway so you have to choose your preferred side to attack! Tough if you havent played before - or good as you will have to come back to play it again!! Halfway House was terrific, shame we only had a drink as we were still digesting our terrific lunch! Back 9 again a real treat with a short par 4 with water all around and it a real thinking hole which can be played in many ways.

The overall course is a great test for low to high handicappers with the various tee boxes to make the course as tough as possible, which doesnt need much encouragement! I have to say I have played many top courses and this is up there based on welcome, service, cleanliness, standard of food and golf courses. The Marquess greens are some of the best I have putted on and puts other clubs to shame where they are still blaming the bad winter for their poor greens.... send their greenkeepers to Woburn!! If I could only play 1 course again this year it would certainly be 1 at Woburn...... hope you enjoy it much as we did!

August 02, 2010

Mick Valerio
great course, with some outstanding par 5s BUT...for me, it's the poor relation of the 3 magnificent Woburn tracks - if you can only play one course at Woburn, choose the Duke's...if you're playing 2 courses, add the Duchess - keep the Marquess in reserve..it's good...but not THAT good!
October 22, 2009

robin brown
Very impressive heathland/parkland course.Cannot believe it is less than 10 years old.Excellent variety of holes great greens and fairways.Puts other new top range clubs to shame.Very welcoming to visitors.
October 20, 2009

David Rimmer
Played all 3 courses at Woburn as part of a weekend deal - we played the Marquess on the final day. By way of a general review, all 3 courses are very good, different in their own way and very well maintained. The whole place is very well run. Each of us had our own opinions on which course was best but for me the Marquess probably edged it. It is very long of the blues (7200) and long enough of the yellows. Unlike the other 2 courses the Marquess is more open and you can open your shoulders more. The biggest challenge on the Marquess are the large sloping greens which even in October were quick enough to cause numerous 3 putts. Some very pretty holes in a lovely piece of countryside. Not sure about the 7th - without the benefit of a course planner and previous experience we all went down the right hand fairway and failed to score a point between us! Great course that I look forward to playing again in the future.
October 08, 2009

Ronan O'Driscoll
I never saw so many trees in my life! Thankfully, for once, I was driving the ball relatively straight so I scored well. The Marquis is a great test in a beautiful setting. The course is manicured to perfection, the greens are magnificent and the overall facilities are superb. I highly recommend it.
October 23, 2008

RJ Thompson
Played both the Dukes and Marquess earlier this week and came away liking the Dukes better. Perhaps this had to do with my score, or perhaps it was the fact that I could barely walk the back nine at Marquess (a tough 36 hole day). It is a very good golf course but not overly exciting to play, that is with the exception of the par 5s. I cannot think of a better collection of par 5's in England.
April 15, 2008

Adrian Gaspar
Played for the second time yesterday. I wasn’t that blown away the first time but had a really good look around yesterday, and have to say it is a pretty impressive inland track and Woburn itself came across as a friendly club. Virtually all the holes are picturesque and tree lined apart from one of the par 5’s on the bank nine, which still feels and looks a bit odd to me. I think there is a decent variety of holes and some where you really have to think. The course was in good condition bearing in mind the horrendous recent weather. For me the main thing that was missing was that little buzz of anticipation you get on the first tee of some of the greats – Woodhall, Walton, St Georges Hill – to name some of my personal inland faves. I guess what I’m saying is the Marquess is a very good course but not a great one.
July 03, 2007