Woking - Surrey - England

• Contact 7 days in advance – no weekend visitors

• Richard Pennell

• Tom Dunn

• Carl Bianco

Woking Golf Club has a charming Old England heathland course, laid out by Tom Dunn in 1893. The club was intended to provide relief for a few golf mad barristers who were sick and tired of playing on muddy clay. We must thank Woking wholeheartedly because nobody thought that heather and gorse-strewn land was viable ground for golf and this was the first experimental heathland layout.

At the turn of the 20th century, there were only a few heathland courses around London and Bernard Darwin described them as “the stars of sand and heather”. He had a soft spot for Woking Golf Club because it’s the oldest and one of the best. He went on to say, “although my judgement may not be strictly an impartial one, I think it is still the pleasantest of all upon which to play, and the golf is undeniably interesting.” Darwin was once a mad barrister himself and also a member at Woking for more than sixty years.

There is absolutely no doubt that Woking is located in an idyllic spot and the unusual pavilion clubhouse only adds to the charisma. This is not a championship layout by any stretch of the imagination; the course only measures 6,602 yards from the back tees. But Woking is a mature and strategic layout requiring well-positioned tee shots that must, at all costs, remain out of the heather and in play. We recommend that you leave your driver in the boot of the car to avoid any temptation.

Woking is not riddled with bunkers but those that are there are adroitly positioned. In 1900, a controversy raged when two bunkers were dug into the 4th fairway. The members were mortified that they might be penalised after hitting a good straight drive. Looking back at this, Woking was a pioneer in architectural terms, forcing the player to make a decision, lay up short or bravely aim on the right line.

In 1926, a match involving captain Bobby Jones and the rest of the American Walker Cup team took place at Woking. The Americans were beaten 6-3 by the “Moles Golfing Society”. The British Amateur champion was captain of the Moles. Woking was also once home to the Alba Trophy, a celebrated amateur competition. These days, Woking is used to genteel peace and quiet in Surrey’s suburbia. This is definitely a course for the connoisseur. Or as Darwin said in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, "I can only end as I began by asserting that there is no more delightful course whereon to play golf."

Reviews for Woking

Description: There is absolutely no doubt that Woking Golf Club is located in an idyllic spot and the unusual pavilion clubhouse only adds to the charisma. Rating: 5.1 out of 6 Reviews: 35

My wife and I played Woking as part of a trip through some of the best heathland courses in the area. This was the last of the three "W's" for us to play we found all three of these courses to be excellent. The course starts with a short par 4 of 277 yards with the fairway actually sloping downhill towards the green. The second is an excellent long par 3 of 221 yards across a valley to a green guarded by a bunker short and right and a sloping back to front green. There then runs a succession of amazing holes including the well known par 4 4th with it centrally placed bunkers demanding a strategic decision off the tee. 8 and 9 are extremely difficult par 4's, and 10 a demanding short hole with a steep slope to the left. The highlight of the back nine is probably the par 5 14th with the green situated right next to the clubhouse verandah. The finish is a short par 4 of 362 yards, but the green is guarded by a large tree to the left for left side pin positions and a pond to the right for pins placed on that side of the green. The green also a large ridge running through it which adds to the difficulty of this fine hole.

Approaching the 18th green - Woking Golf Club

The greens are certainly interesting with a variety of slopes, borrows and runoffs that make it difficult to get the ball close to many pin positions. I enjoyed to the flow of the holes and the course was natural, comfortable and fun to play.

The "W"s are all excellent courses, and I rate Woking the most difficult test of golf, Worplesdon the most fun to play, and West Hill the prettiest of the three. I would agree with editor Jim McCann that to be a member with reciprocal privileges at all three would be heaven. Read my story: Diamonds of the heather - golfing London's heathland

Richard Smith

Knoxville, Tennessee

August 01, 2017

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not

This course has a reputation for wonderful greens. I confirm that this theory is 100% correct. The opening hole is a very short par 4 followed by a very long par 3. They are fairly similar in length which is a little odd, but the course doesn’t take long to get going. A very demanding par 4 3rd hole will test the very best of golfers, and really begins to emphasize the magnificent shaping in the green complexes. I did fall in love with the greens and strongly encourage visitors to pay attention to what Tom Dunn left us with.

In my humble opinion, the course needs to consider cutting the grass in many areas, especially on the front side where large expansive areas (eg: 2nd/3rd) need to cut back the lush grass that appeared a little hairy, especially around a few tee boxes. With that said, there are many enjoyable aspects of playing golf at Woking. The routing has a nice change in direction and the land is more undulating than meets the eye. Uphill holes are especially difficult (eg: 9th) of which there are many, as is the need to avoid superbly placed fairway bunkers (eg: 4th fairway).

You have to wait until the 14th hole to play an official par 5 per the scorecard which takes away from the courses design variety, although the 9th hole at 470 yards to an uphill diagonal green could well be the toughest par 4 in England! Could new tees add to the variety on the scorecard?

I discussed with my playing partner how enjoyable the course becomes as you progress through the round. The closing hole feels very different than the rest. With the introduction of a pond and a green that sits terribly close to the clubhouse, I was also struck by how somewhat overgrown the tree left of the green is. On the day I played the course, the flag was back-left and almost ungetatable from the middle of the fairway even with a sand wedge in my hand.

Woking is a tough golf course and will ask a lot of your driver off the tee given how tree-lined this course is compared to the other heathland courses in Surrey. I would describe Woking as a quirky course with world-class green complexes and well worth a visit.

June 21, 2017

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not

Having played the 3 Ws recently, my order of preference is West Hill, Worplesdon and Woking. My reasoning is that there at least 6 holes on Woking that have more of a tree dominated parkland feel (2, 3, 4, 9, 17, 18), rather than heathland which is my preference. So this order of preference is aesthically based rather than design etc. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and the 2 stretchs of holes (5 to 8) and (10 to 14) are superb. The 8th is as good a par 4 as Ive played (played 85 of top 100). A couple of other observations. 1/. Not sure of the 9th hole. Very tough and unless you can shape the ball right to left off the tee, the approach to the green which is severely uphill, will be in the 180 to 200 yard range. 2/. Perhaps some more trees can be removed as there is a claustrophobic feel on 12 (off the tee), 13, 14 and 15. 3/. The odd, out of character tree on the right side of the 13th fairway is most bizarre. It is completely out of character (much greener and lusher than the pines and firs) and spoils an otherwise brilliant hole. Was it planted nefariously or with permission of the club by some eccentric dignitary or patron ? Either way it is a shocker !

May 29, 2017

1 person found this review helpful and 2 did not

Our golf society visited here last week and we were looked after from start to finish. Coffee and decent bacon rolls on arrival then a round of golf. We were all very impressed with the course itself especially the fairways and greens. A nice range of holes, some challenging and others just a beauty to play. We finished with a magnificent three course lunch, buffet style, that beats most others we have sampled. Thanks to everyone that looked after us and we will surely all be back later in the year. From Mark and all the Silly Billys

April 25, 2017

Niall
April 27, 2017

It’s interesting to note that this reviewer was impressed with Woking's fairways and greens this April but the reviewer below reports a very different story regarding mid April course presentation. It will be interesting to see for myself when I visit in a couple of months time.

Had my annual game at Woking today. It has a couple of holes any lover of golf course architecture should play - the par four fourth with bunkers 250 yards from the tee in the middle of the fairway, which is edged by the railway line; the par four eighth with an optical illusional ditch which will challenge your choice of line off the tee, and an uphill shot over heather fringed bunkers to the green. But the eighth - possibly the best hole in Surrey - is followed by a hole which may be the worst in England - 450 yards sharp dogleg left with the last 200 steeply uphill. The fourteenth is a potentially great hole with the green adjacent to the clubhouse. But unfortunately the conditioning of the course lets it down. Awful, bumpy, slow greens including a couple of temporaries for no apparent reason in mid- April. With better green keeping this would be a five ball course without question, but the way it is presented now it has a lot to do to justify its elevated ranking.

April 22, 2017

1 person found this review helpful and 8 did not
Richard Pennell
April 28, 2017

Dear Anonymous reviewer – I am sorry to read that you had not enjoyed your game at Woking last week. We have worked hard on the greens drainage over the winter period, and the two temporaries that are in play as a result of the most recent phase of the drainage project had been communicated to the organisers of all visiting parties and members, but clearly the message had not got to you, and for that I can only apologise. If I knew who you had played with I would be happy to explore where the communication failed.

I am pleased to say that I played the course this morning, and the greens will be in very good shape for the Club’s Spring Meetings shortly, a sentiment which has been echoed by many of our recent visitors. I am only sorry that you felt they were not as you might have expected when you played.

Kind regards

Secretary, Woking Golf Club

I am a big admirer of the heathland courses in the Berkshire/Surrey area and for me Woking is one of the best. It is magnificently pretty with towering pines that border many holes on the course. It is pure quality. The clubhouse is both charming and traditional and the terrace is almost an extension of the 14th green. A wonderful setting in which to enjoy a drink after trying to master the subtle undulating greens.

It is the greens that set this course apart from many of the other great inland courses. The green complexes are one of the highlights of this course with the 3rd, 5th, 8th, 12th, 13th and 15th being particularly interesting. The bunkering is also excellent with some well-designed centre line hazards that demand a good line both off the tee and approaching the greens.

Woking is certainly not championship length but it doesn’t need to be. It is a course for the purists. It demands accuracy to place the golf ball in areas that give the best line to the green. I enjoyed every hole and felt they all offered something slightly different. On the front nine I particularly enjoyed the 3rd, 6th and 8th. All inspiring par fours that I could play over and over again. The centre line green bunker on the 3rd is sublime. The tee shot and view on the 6th is the best on the course and the 8th is simply a great heathland golf hole. The back nine continued to impress with my favourites being the 11th, 12th, 15th and 16th. The 12th green has to be admired and for me it is this sort of old fashioned design that elevates Woking into the higher bracket of British inland courses.

As for the 3w’s…..well I have now played them all on more than one occasion and for me Woking is the best by some margin over the majestic Worplesdon with the very pretty West Hill being my least favourite. Although it is a very good course in its own right. I thoroughly enjoyed my recent visit to Woking and on this occasion I had a post round pint in the Hook Heath Artisans Bar behind the first tee. The members were great company and most welcoming.

If it is tradition, charm and beauty that you’re after then Woking definitely delivers. I would never grow tired of playing Woking and for that reason it is one of my favourite inland courses in the British Isles. Stu R.

August 31, 2016

3 people found this review helpful and 1 did not

I expected Woking to be good but it was even better than I thought it would be, which was a pleasant surprise. Laid out by Tom Dunn in 1893, well before other heathland courses such as Sunningdale or Walton Heath, the layout is much the same today as it was then, apart from changes to the 9th, 10th and (more recently) the 16th, along with reversing the order of play for the 11th and 13th.

I’d read that agronomist Jim Arthur had consulted at the club during the 1970s and 80s and if the condition of the greens nowadays is in any shape or form a result of the work he put in during that period then they’re a fabulous legacy of a much respected man because they were absolutely superb.

Woking Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

The par fours at the right dog legged 3rd and left doglegged 9th were my favourite holes on the outward half – the fairway on the former sloping markedly right to left as it heads towards a really unique, horseshoe-shaped green whilst the fairway on the latter rises sharply to a large, two-tiered plateau green.

The 12th is another terrific par four, veering slightly left to a beautifully constructed green that’s benched into the hillside, protected at the front by three large bunkers. The first of back-to-back par fives at the 14th returns golfers to the verandah at the rear of the clubhouse, which is very much in play at the back of the green.

In these days of health and safety, I’m astonished that members and guests are still allowed to put themselves in the line of fire from stray approach shots to the 14th green – I overcooked my wedge shot by a considerable margin and just missed a large group of people sitting yards from the back of the green as my ball landed on the floor tiles then shot straight up into the overhanging roof with a terrible clatter.

Woking Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Even an almighty cry of “FORE!” from the secretary, who was alongside me at the time, gave people only a split second of a chance to try to avoid a serious injury from my clumsy shot. Thank God nobody was injured but it could so easily have been very different - perhaps a fine mesh net rigged up along the front of the terrace would afford some protection from hackers like myself?

There’s another surprise in store at the end of the round, with water hazards featuring prominently at two of the last three holes. The lily pond at the par three 16th will catch anything short or right of the green whilst the pond to the right of the 18th will only really worry those who slice their approach shot - perhaps attempting to avoid firing into the clubhouse on the left if they’ve already done so at the 14th!

I can understand why former member Bernard Darwin spoke so highly of Woking as it’s a magical place to play. I haven’t yet played near neighbours Worplesdon or West Hill (they’re also ranked within the GB&I Top 100) but I’d love to do so next year to see how they compare against Woking, which sets the local bench mark for me at the moment.

July 24, 2016

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Easily the best of the three W’s, Woking is a joy to play. The course is a wonderful example of classic golf architecture where the emphasis is on picking the right shape and line of shot rather than simply a matter of getting the ball as far down the fairway as possible. The 3rd is my favourite hole and one that I never tire of playing. The 14th is also great fun and with the green in front of the clubhouse it certainly makes for a tricky putt when the veranda is full of watching eyes.The greens throughout the course are in very good condition and have the most wonderful undulations with some being more subtle than others; the 15th requires a very accurate wedge in.My only criticism would be that off the yellows the course is a little short, albeit still great fun. You really want to play off the members tees.Overall Woking is a terrific course that together with its wonderfully traditional clubhouse I never tire of playing. It is quite simply a must play, especially for those interested in golf architecture.
November 12, 2015

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Hugh
November 12, 2015
It's not my favourite of the three W's but I'm always happy to play any of them.
The last of the Three Ws is certainly no disappointment, starting with the decades old wisteria bush winding its way through the pillars on the restaurant terrace. What a classic venue, and well worth the effort to find it down several country roads! After a short par 4 opening hole, the balance of the course provided a good balance between comfort and challenge. I was annoyed with myself for butchering the 351 yard 18th hole after a perfect tee shot, but there is plenty of peril both left and right of that water-threatened green. Modern course designers could learn a great deal by playing this course and other turn of the century heathland layouts around London. Short holes which can either be birdied or double bogeyed and deceptively long par 4s which require a lot of swing confidence on the approach. Conditioning was excellent on the day I visited, and I suspect this is not the exception. Great staff as well. do yourself a favor and visit.
May 21, 2015

Arthur Jennings
September 10, 2015
You may be interested to hear that Woking regularly plays host to 'big name' modern course architects who come to have a look at this classic design. This year both Donald Steel and Michael Clayton (who works with Geoff Ogilvy and is advising at the nearby Berkshire) have popped in to have a look and enjoy the course - and perhaps learn some lessons. You are right about the conditioning - I have played here quite regularly for around 5 years and it's always stunning. So much so that this year I have joined the club as a member and can confirm that week-in, week-out it is nigh on perfection. It really is a must play for serious golfers who enjoy the challenge of heathland golf and wickedly sloping greens. It has played relatively short this summer with the lack of regular rainfall but firm and fast fairways make finding the heather a lot easier. If you enjoy varied, interesting and thoughtful golf, Woking is surely for you.
I played Woking on a beautiful Sunday morning during their member show up and play tournament. I was lucky to be hooked up with an excellent playing member of their greens committee who knew the course as no other. I have to say Woking was one of the wonderful surprises of my extensive visit to the London area. The course is short but absolutely full of brilliant strategy. Starting off with a very short and driveable 277 yd par 4 with quite a bit of danger behind the green for those that go long, it’s quickly followed up a very long 1 shotter of 221 yds which is very tough, at least for me so early in a round and being a bit of a slow starter. Immediately after a long uphill par 4 of 445 yds requiring two excellent shots to reach the green safely. I thought the course had a great flow to it, a very easy walk with short distances from greens to the next tee. A brilliant set of green complexes as well full of gentle undulations for the most part. I didn’t run into a hole I didn’t like until the new par 3, 16th. To be fair I have to say it certainly isn’t a bad hole but to me it just doesn’t’ fit at all to have this Florida like heavily bunkered par 3 over water in the finishing stretch, or any stretch on this great classic course. Now I know this is just an opinion so I’d be curious what others who have played think of this hole.

My favorite holes were 3, 6, 8,9 and 18. 3 because of the strategy required off the tee and with the approach and how the safe play away from the OB brings the left fairway bunker very much into play on the drive. However, anything right leaves you with a tricky angle of approach straight over the bunker to a front to back sloping green that is very firm. 6 and 8 are great par 4’s requiring two excellent shots to reach and both having fantastic greens. 18 is an excellent finishing hole.

If I’m really critical the par 5’s are a little underwhelming compared to the rest and especially the extremely strong set of par 4’s. However, I like that they are reachable with two good shots, but both are relatively straight. My preference goes to the 14th but this has to do mainly with the green complex, its location and ones ability to run up a longer iron or wood onto the surface.

The terrace at the 19th hole serves as a great place to watch other players come in on the finishing stretch playing the par 5 14th and starting on the 15th – there is also a pretty good view of 18. In fact, the location of the 14th green really gives you the feeling you are in the heart of the action while sitting on the terrace. To me Woking seems to be a very underrated course in the London area and it certainly provides not only a great atmosphere but also a wonderful strategic golfing experience on a great classic course.
September 29, 2014

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Hugh
September 30, 2014
The pond at the par three 16th isn't new, at least it was there back in the 1970s when I first played Woking. I think it's an attractive feature that is about as far removed from Florida as Woking is from Melbourne.
Arthur Jennings
September 10, 2015
Interesting review. I think you are confusing the 3rd with the 4th, which is one of the great short par-4 holes. 6 is spectacular (like 10th at Sunningdale Old, but better) and the 8th is the best hole on the course for me. Lots of members don't like the 9th but I think it's a very strong, long par-4 where 5 is not a bad score. Perhaps the green needs softening just a touch. I particularly enjoy the 11-13 stretch, where each hole is a similar length but all play so differently and you will not hit the same club off any of the tees. 14 and 15 are potential birdies or doubles depending on the strength of your driving, which I like on a par 5 hole. For me, the 16th is situated perfectly. It is stunning set back in the trees and the bunkering is in keeping with the rest of the course. The only problem is the 'knobbly' green, which I suspect will be flattened out in the not too distant future because certain areas get 'scalped' by the mowers. The Pond has been there as long as the course and is where most of the natural hazards feed into - I don't think it resembles Florida in any way I'm afraid! Then you have 17 and 18, both lovely par-4s to finish. What I really like about Woking is the fact you can step onto every tee and enjoy the challenge, with birdie a distinct possibility and bogey or worse lurking if you hit a poor shot. It's just fun to play, and that is why I started playing golf. Too many courses have lost sight of that in recent times, desperately trying to add length to protect old man par.