Woking - Surrey - England

Surrey,
GU22 0JZ,

• 1½ miles SW of Woking

• Contact 7 days in advance – no weekend visitors

Woking Golf Club has a charming Old England heathland course, laid out by Tom Dunn in 1893. The club was intended to provide relief for a few golf mad barristers who were sick and tired of playing on muddy clay. We must thank Woking wholeheartedly because nobody thought that heather and gorse-strewn land was viable ground for golf and this was the first experimental heathland layout.

At the turn of the 20th century, there were only a few heathland courses around London and Bernard Darwin described them as “the stars of sand and heather”. He had a soft spot for Woking Golf Club because it’s the oldest and one of the best. He went on to say, “although my judgement may not be strictly an impartial one, I think it is still the pleasantest of all upon which to play, and the golf is undeniably interesting.” Darwin was once a mad barrister himself and also a member at Woking for more than sixty years.

Woking Golf Club is listed in the catalogue of Simpson & Company Golf Architects, but we don't know what work Tom Simpson may have carried out.

There is absolutely no doubt that Woking is located in an idyllic spot and the unusual pavilion clubhouse only adds to the charisma. This is not a championship layout by any stretch of the imagination; the course only measures 6,602 yards from the back tees. But Woking is a mature and strategic layout requiring well-positioned tee shots that must, at all costs, remain out of the heather and in play. We recommend that you leave your driver in the boot of the car to avoid any temptation.

Woking is not riddled with bunkers but those that are there are adroitly positioned. In 1900, a controversy raged when Stuart Paton dug two bunkers into the 4th fairway. The members were mortified that they might be penalised after hitting a good straight drive. Looking back at this, Woking was a pioneer in architectural terms, forcing the player to make a strategic decision, lay up short or bravely aim on the right line.

In 1926, a match involving captain Bobby Jones and the rest of the American Walker Cup team took place at Woking. The Americans were beaten 6-3 by the “Moles Golfing Society”. The British Amateur champion was captain of the Moles. Woking was also once home to the Alba Trophy, a celebrated amateur competition. These days, Woking is used to genteel peace and quiet in Surrey’s suburbia. This is definitely a course for the connoisseur. Or as Darwin said in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, "I can only end as I began by asserting that there is no more delightful course whereon to play golf."

Tim Lobb has been the consulting architect at Woking for a number of years. The par three 16th hole was redesigned in 2013 and new forward tees have since been installed on a number of holes. The club is also engaged in an ongoing heather restoration program to significantly improve the course’s environmental impact.

Reviews for Woking

Description: There is absolutely no doubt that Woking Golf Club is located in an idyllic spot and the unusual pavilion clubhouse only adds to the charisma. Rating: 8 out of 10 Reviews: 64
Rob Gibson

Woking is charming. The clubhouse is very understated, and sits next to the 14th/18th greens for prime heckling!

The golf course is absolutely typically beautiful, and challenging in equal measure. You’re eased in with a gentle par 4 on the 1st and a good chance at a birdie. From there, the front 9 is a strong test of golf. I can’t remember the order of holes as I played it last year, but 2 is a strong par 4 up to the right, and 9 is a very difficult par 4 uphill to the left with a scary scary green complex! In between, there are a multitude of strong par 4’s, I believe it is 5 with a beautiful elevated tee shot and an incredible green complex, I also really like 3 alongside the railway line. It’s one of my favourite aspects of the heathland courses, the railway never seems too far away!

The back 9 gets going properly with back to back par 5’s at 14/15, both great holes in their own right, with trouble if you can’t keep your ball in play (which I couldn’t that day!), I’m not a huge fan of 16 I must say, it felt a little out of place, but that’s me nitpicking. 18 is a nice short 4 to finish in front of the clubhouse.

Haven’t played Worplesdon yet, but I can’t really choose between West Hill and Woking!

July 07, 2022

Andy Cocker
July 10, 2022

Rob, not wanting to pour cold water on your review but if you're going to write a review a year after you played a course it would help if you recalled the holes correctly. The 2nd is a par 3 NOT par 4 and the railway hole is the 4th NOT the 3rd. The elevated tee view is from the 6th. So writing a review 12 months later which is inaccurate doesn't make any sense to me nor does it help the readers.

Rob Gibson
July 11, 2022

Don’t want to pour cold water on your review. Proceeds to pour cold water on review whilst emphasising points in aggressive capitals. Sorry I forgot a hole, lord forgive me!

Maarten
July 11, 2022

At Top100, we all benefit from having an environment that encourages people to write about their experiences. They are taking time and effort to do so and if all they get in return are notes saying ‘you shouldn’t have written this; you’re in no position to comment’, there will soon be hardly any discussion at this website. Rob doesn’t need me to defend him, but I do want to defend the charm of this website which is the interaction in positive spirits. I can’t be the only one annoyed by such recurring comments by often the same brave keyboard warriors.

Andy Cocker

'Wow!' - this became my most commonly used word throughout my round at Woking this last week. And this exclamation was generally uttered as I stepped onto each new tee. It also featured heavily as I scoured each green complex, with the many slopes, rolls, borrows and levels of each green bedazzling.

A couple of standouts for me - firstly the fairways. These are so closely mown, closer cut than many a municipal green, and also they were watered, which meant that my usually excellent short game was put under severe test, any slight imperfection in striking the ball around the greens, cruelly exposed. A great example of this was the 1st. A short and wide open par 4, but the green is out of sight. I took driver and found myself that niggly 50 yard distance, off very tight lies and a downhill slope, to a green that then sloped away from you. What I thought was an excellent drive, left one of those tricky pitches. With hindsight, a wood or iron off the tee would have been better.

And secondly the greens. These were so much fun. If you like a rollercoaster ride on the greens where your ability to read the various breaks and borrows is put to the test, then Woking is for you. The standout green for me was the 13th - it has a mini Biarritz in the green and whilst I pitched my approach to what I thought was pin high and should be an easy putt, I found my ball on side of this mini valley and the pin on the other! I loved it.

The course also has some wonderful shaped holes, often with the tee box at an angle to the fairway, again testing your ability to stick with the line you have picked.

After a gentle start from in front of the clubhouse, my 1st Wow moment was on the 2nd tee, playing a long 221 yard par 3, across a valley and ponds to a 2 tiered green.

After 2 more straight forward par 4's, the 3rd being a classic dog leg right sweeping up to a raised green, protected by a deep bunker to the front, and the 4th a straight hole played downhill off the elevated tee and shaped by the railway line that runs down the right hand side, the 5th was another wow moment - long and straight, but the real challenge is the green that is two tiered with a large slope making any putt an interesting challenge.

The course then steps up again, literally, as you climb the hill to the 6th tee and a fantastic vista looking down the hole, framed by heather and trees and to a green protected by a brook at the front.

The 8th is another excellent hole, where the tee is at an angle to the fairway. Off the tee you have options; take a more aggressive line but have to carry over 200 yards of heather, which is gnarly and penalising if you end up in it, or the shorter safer route to the left hand side of the fairway, but then that leaves you a long 2nd approach over bunkers that protect the green.

If I have any criticism of the course, I didn't find the 9th, another dogleg, this time to the left and uphill to a raised green, in keeping with the remainder of the course. Whether it's in keeping or not, at 466 yards this was very much a par 5 for me, as what looked like a reachable distance for your 2nd shot, simply found itself onto the banking in front of the green.

Sandwiched either side of this hole are 2 par 3's.

Then I felt the course stepped up another notch. A beautiful looking par 4 10th, is followed by another strong set of par 4's over the next 3 holes, ending in the Biarritz green.

You then play back to the clubhouse on the 1st of back to back par 5's - a sweeping hole with heather down the right hand side and a sloping green directly in front of the clubhouse. I understand from other reviews that the veranda is in play.

And then out on a par 5, par 3, and 2 par 4 finish. Whilst the par 3 is over water and again doesn't feel as heathland as the rest of the course, it is a pretty golf hole with another sloping back to front green, leaving challenging putting once again.

And then on your way back to the clubhouse the 17th offers another long par 4 at 433 yards, before a classic finishing hole. Only short, this par 4 offers choices again off the tee. Heather abounds down the right; a gentle fade is suited as long as you aim up the left hand side of the fairway, leaving an approach through a narrow opening to the large green. As there is a large tree casting shadow over the green, I couldn't make out the slopes and steps on the green until I got to it. It meant that what I thought was a good shot in, ended up rolling down about 3 tiers leaving a tricky 2 putt for par. As the green slopes towards the pond, any over aggressive approach could find itself running into the pond, whilst any short approach could find itself in the bunker to the front right. A hole that requires thought, just like every one on this course and a fitting end to a wonderful round of golf around this expansive and beautiful golf course.

This is the 1st of the 3 'W's' I have played. The rise and fall of the topography, the challenging green complexes, the strategic play required, and the heather, which in a month or so will be fully blooming made this a magical play to play.

July 03, 2022

Wayne Box

Woking was and is, an absolute treat but is also fairly hard done by on the Top 100 matrix, it is a solid 4 ball score for me, 'a good course to seek out if in the area, meriting a full day out'. Yet, I feel that this score is unjust based on the incredible conditioning and those oh so wicked greens!

Your opening foray is a short par four, this is where the course planner will help you out as the tee shot is semi blind, there is more room left than you think, just don't go too far right! The first green eases you in gently for what is to come, and let me warn you, they really are devilishly fast with rolls and mounds more akin to a skate park.

If the first hole warms you up, then the second is the main event for sure. A 200 yard plus par three over a small 'valley' where anything right of the green is going to end right, WAY right! Both myself and my playing partner found this out the hard way. Ignore the pin position aim for the middle of the green, or even a bit further left!

I am not one to describe every hole, usually because I cannot remember them all, so I'll fast forward to hole number 14. The first of back to back par 5's.

A tee shot down the left half of the fairway will giver you the best (shortest) route to the green if you believe you can have a go to get on in two. Beware, as many have mentioned before, the clubhouse terrace lies just feet from the edge of the green!

16 is very easy on the eye, albeit a bit of an oddity in keeping with the rest of the course. A short par three over water to a very narrow green, protected by bunkers and of course a watery grave should you come up short. I ended up right and past the green, a chip of near impossible skill was required to get up and down, I failed the test!

18 is a fine finishing hole, particularly if the match is tight. A short par four, lake surrounding the right of the green and the right hand side of the approach. A flushed three wood left me just 30 yards from the green, testament to the firm fairways following the hottest week of the year. I failed to capitalise and walked off with a 5!

Of the 3 W's West Hill is my favourite, but despite the 30 degree heat and the wicked and borderline unplayable greens (for a mid/high handicapper), I really liked Woking GC, the pro shop were welcoming and helpful and the catering staff equally pleasant. The course, although not long, is tough. Heather and bunkers and some tough approach shots, not forgetting the greens!

If you get the chance, Woking will not disappoint.

June 16, 2022

Josh

The resonating scene of Tin Cup came to mind as soon as I walked through the green and white pavillion clubhouse to find the par 5 14th green just a few mere feet away from where people would be enjoying their after round refreshments. Although there probably isn't much likelihood of people full swinging from inside the clubhouse, members at Woking are proud to say they are used to the occasional ball that finds itself clattering into the clubhouse or even finding it's way through the double doors into the cosy dining room. The best part of this is that against all updated health and safety measures and risk assessments, it's still in play, at your own risk!

Woking was stop number 43 for me in the England top 100 and the second of the three W's. It was surprising to see quite a big difference in layout and atmosphere between this and the neighbouring West Hill considering it's 800 odd yards away. However this place comes with heaps of class, an abundance of tradition and a sprinkle of quirk. I would never go as far as saying one is clearly better than the other however. The drivable 280 yard, stroke index 18 opener is a great example of this. Of course I'm going to be biased when I thump my 3 wood down the hill to about 15 feet. Only to be faced with Woking's biggest defence, the greens. I was just glad I listened to my friend and didn't hit driver, I didn't want to put that much strain on my short game as early as that.

Woking is a truly charming layout that almost feels like you've been left back in time. Like many class heathland courses, length isn't an issue here. Precision is needed not only to avoid some cleverly placed fairway bunkers but into some of these unique green complexes the likes of which will test the best of golfer. It's easy to sit there watching the Masters each year thinking you can do a better job and I'm not saying Woking is on the same level but play here a week after club championships and I think walking off without a three stab is as close to a miracle as you actually being able to play Augusta. I can imagine greenkeepers revenge is an interesting one here.

The condition in April was brilliant. It had been a month since the maintenance program had concluded and apart from the two greens that had some more intense TLC, you couldn't tell at all.

The only real criticism I have here is the two weak holes. What I like the least about the 9th hole is that every other hole on the golf course is about precision and this is just the complete opposite. It requires a long, high driver over the dogleg and another very straight long shot up the hill to get to the 470 yard (tips) par 4 hole in 2. And if you're not blessed with distance you better hope you get on in 3 because that's still a feat for the shorter hitters.

If I were given the decision, I would change the angles for the tees. The tips would have the same very difficult shot but the yellows would have a much straighter hole as it would still provide a great challenge. I would also add a pair of fairway bunkers down the right to catch the balls heading out of play into a bordering dike and one greenside left. The hole currently has no bunkers and from what I gather it's common knowledge there are few fans of this hole.

My dislike of the 10th is nowhere near as strong as for the 9th but it just seems again out of character from the rest of the course. A short par 3 to a narrow green with two bunkers right. Whilst the green is tricky mirroring the rest of Woking, it's just missing something for me and feels like it's put there for the sake of adding a hole.

These criticisms should not put anyone off visiting this place. I love both of the back to back par 5's with 14 and 15 being some of the tightest you'll play. Both will make you question hitting driver off the tee for the better players but maybe the daydreaming of hitting the green next to the clubhouse in two with all the people watching is just too good to turn down. I've heard a ladder was once at rest against the clubhouse to allow players to chip off the roof.

All in all Woking is fully deserving of a place in the top 30. Conditions all tend to be very similar in this glorious part of the world and so layout is the only buffer. Some forward thinking decisions with a couple of changes to 9 and 10 would really give even the harshest critic a tough job slating this place.

Woking was the 43rd top 100 course and 115th golf course I've played at 24 years old. Come and follow me on my adventure! https://www.instagram.com/ginger.golf/?hl=en-gb

April 29, 2022

Neil White

Clang! A heavy nine-iron saw my compadre’s ball ricochet off the vermillion roof tiles of Woking’s clubhouse and settle next to the practice putting green.

We had been warned. An IMPORTANT notice at the 14th tee states that the green is very close to the pavilion and the prevailing wind is behind the golfer.

I confess to a stifled snigger at seeing the prophecy fulfilled, only to thin my approach and be forced to play my next shot, next to a wall and underneath a drainpipe.

One of the great quirks of Woking is that the clubhouse is in play – indeed, signs on the veranda confirm this but warn golfers continue at their own risk.

They make no mention of the poor devils who are supping after-match refreshments while attempts to rescue pars are made around their tables.

Woking is different from any other course I have played. Sure, there is a touch of Swinley Forest and a couple of echoes of The Berkshire but it has its own idiosyncrasies.

For starters, I cannot recall a stroke index-18 opening hole.

It sets the bar for an outward nine where precision rather than big-hitting is required to score.

Long drivers will fancy their chances of hitting a target which is only 277-yards off the whites but they would have to be very skilled to keep their ball on the green.

I was about 30 yards short but watched in alarm as my chipped approach gathered pace on a putting surface which was dazzlingly quick for April.

The beauty of Woking truly emerges on the par-three uphill second whose green is perched on a bend over heather and between bunkers.

The purple Calluna is omnipresent on this beautiful Surrey course. Only the foolish or very talented will be more ambitious than simply taking their medicine and chipping out.

I could say the same of the fairway bunkers after finding myself in the one which changed golf design forever.

Apparently, Woking member Stuart Paton dug a sand trap (without telling anyone), left of centre on the 4th hole and modelled it on a bunker at St. Andrew’s. It made what is an otherwise straightforward hole one of intense strategy.

Needless to say, I not only found the bunker but also failed to emerge after my first attempt and ended up with null Stableford points.

Paton’s concept was copied extensively and the changes meant inland courses began to compete with revered links. I would have enjoyed the story more if I had read it rather than lived it.

The 6th is a beautiful par four with an elevated tee, bunkers on either side of a fairway and heather on the right before a second shot to a green protected by a stream.

I loved the attention to detail and conditioning at Woking – with its crisscrossed tee boxes and manicured fairways divided into light and dark green. Nowhere is this more evident than looking down this gorgeous hole.

The dogleg 9th may be stroke-index nine but is surely one of the toughest holes on the course with trees encroaching from the left. It rises dramatically to a green with a fearsome slope from back to front.

I was quite happy to reach it in three only to see a long putt from behind the hole go on and on and on… finishing 20 yards back down the fairway.

The back nine begins with another testing par-three on the side of a hill before a sequence of holes which require even more accurate but longer hitting than previously.

For example, the 11th which needs attacking down the left to avoid heather and a pinpoint approach through bunkers.

The 12th has a fiendish two-level green which causes the ball to swirl away from the hole and demands expert reading.

The 13th is arguably the toughest hole of all – I succumbed to a central bunker, my big-hitting partners found the heather and none of us managed a point between us.

The 16th is one of the prettiest par-threes I have played – I can testify that even if the ball is hit cleanly over water and bunkers, it may struggle to hold on the long green.

The course begins with stroke index 18 and finishes with the second easiest hole but there is a pond to the right which will gather approaches from those who take it for granted.

I was beguiled by Woking and, after only one round, completely understood why it is so highly rated.

The tasty carvery in its wonderfully traditional clubhouse was the final touch on a superb day and was just about far enough from the 14thgreen not to be interrupted.

I am scheduled to return next month and cannot wait.

April 20, 2022

Peter Wood

Woking is a lovely heathland course with an old world feel. The course is routed through rolling terrain, with the fairways carved out of the woodlands.

The bunkering is impressive and with the heather in bloom and the occasional burn or lake in play, Woking is as pretty as a picture!

Interestingly Woking is a 2 ball club meaning members predominantly play in twos- thus limiting the number of golfers that play each hour

The by product of this is quick golf, and less members...

The homely looking clubhouse has a delightful verandah area complete with vines- and this is located immediately adjacent to the 14th green.

It is so close that it is an everyday occurence for errant shots to end up on the verandah, or even through the verandah into adjacent rooms of the clubhouse.

AND such territory is deemed still in play!

This results in some entertainment for both players and those in the bar

I believe the roof of the bar also used to be in play, and a ladder was provided to enable players to locate and play their ball.

Highballs are served in the verandah area!

There are a number of classic heathland holes including the par 4, fourth hole- said to be the first truly strategic hole in England.

If I were to choose a club to join in London I think it might be Woking. It is a course to play over, and a delightful place to visit!

Peter Wood is the founder of The Travelling Golfer – click the link to read his full review.

November 25, 2021

Gustav

Local knowledge really counts in a place like this. A couple of examples to illustrate my point: The short par 4 first hole calls for a long iron from the tee unless you've got hubris and try to drive the green. The problem is that both the green and the sloping ground in front were so firm during our visit that our (well-struck) approach shots just trickled over the green and ended up in the bank below. A struggle to make par instead of a good birdie opportunity for the unintiated.

On the long (420 yards) par 4 3rd, I missed slightly long and right and from the ankle deep thick grass a couple of yards off the green, I had no shot. Again, local knowledge would have told me to miss short or left.

On the par 4 dogleg left uphill 9th, the stroke saver does not tell you how far it is before you run out of fairway on the right side, so you risk hitting an iron into the fairway, which I should have done, but didn't, as it would have given me a near impossible task with my second. Instead, I stuffed a good drive into the trees on the left which were higher than what I (somewhat optimstically) thought that I could hit my driver. Again, local knowledge would have told me where to aim and which club to choose.

On the last hole, a good drive gives you only a pitch into the green. However carefully you hit this shot, you run a real risk of the ball trickling across the away-sloping green and into the water. Fortunately, mine stopped just a few inches short as the greenkeepers had not been sadistic enough to shave the bank all the way to down to the water.

All this is to say, until and unless you find a better course guide than what is sold in the pro shop, make sure you play this course with a member or someone who otherwise happens to know the course well. Alternatively, abandon any ambitions to score and just enjoy the walk, like we ended up doing.

Not a bad idea, because during what is a very civilised and pleasant walk, there are also plenty of things to love: not the least the par 5 14th (pictured). It is reachable in two for the longer hitter, but its green ends only a few paces off the clubhouse terrace, which uniquely is not out of bounds.

Or, the new 16th with its undulating green where a longer putt can break two or three times.

All this points to a club which still puts members first, second and third and which still has a long road before being considered "corporate".

In my book, Woking is not a match for the best in the heathland category such as Swinley Forest, Sunningdale, St George's Hill, Walton Heath or The Berkshire (do not want to debate where Wentworth West belongs these days as I last played it in the 90s). I also have Hankley Common higher than Woking but realise that opinions are more split on that comparison.

However, if you have ticked them all off and are looking for something else, you can do a lot worse than spending a day here. More heather and history feel than nearby West Hill, but also a bit more old school.

Will be interesting to also compare Woking with Worplesdon, but that is another day..and another review.

September 15, 2021

Robert Blair

Woking golf club was a picture today. Beautiful heather framing a well manicured course weaving between the trees. While not a long course, it is protected well by the aforementioned heather and dangerous bunkers. The biggest defence are the green complexes. Large and fast with huge undulations leaves some truly daunting putts if you land in the wrong section. I think I preferred the opening nine, where more elevation was in play giving beautiful views of the course.

Along with a great round, I must say the hospitality was 1st class for our outing. Pre round coffee and rolls and a fantastic lunch after made a great day. I think the ultimate test is always ‘would you like to come back?’ In a heartbeat!!

August 25, 2021

Robert Smith

Having played here a few years ago now and remembering how good it was, I was pleased to return a couple of weeks ago and play it again. What can I say??? It was amazing, One of the best days golf in my life, on what can only be described as one of the best manicured courses I have played. Not a blade of grass out of place, everything was perfect, (apart from my game!!). The greens were superb, receptive of a well struck shot, and with a good pace on them. The fairways were immaculate, as were the teeing areas, and even the hazards (gorse and bunkers) were as pretty as a picture. The heather in particular was pretty demanding, any shot missing the fairway was gobbled up by it. But lost balls aside, I was spellbound. Standout hole for me is the par 4 6th, one of the prettiest holes you'll play anywhere. I was so looking forward to playing this particular hole again, and I'm glad to see that even after finding the aforementioned gorse off the tee, I still managed to par it, one of only a few that day! I love Woking, and if I lived closer I would join in a heartbeat. Definitely, definitely, in my own personal top 3.

July 26, 2021

Ian Cranidge

I used to glimpse Woking from the train heading towards Basingstoke and wished I was playing rather than on my way to dull meetings, I had my chance recently and the experience didn’t disappoint. Nestled in the Surrey sand belt the course carves its way through picturesque mature forest, only the noise of trains from Waterloo and jets into Farnborough disturbs the tranquillity.

Short by today’s standards with only 2 par 5’s the course relies on some spectacularly contoured greens for its defence, you really need to have your approach shots dialled in to find the right part of the greens. Find the wrong spot and you’ll end up with some monster putts, miss the greens and you can end up with some of the toughest up and downs you can imagine, long putts to save your par at best. The club has a very good practice putting green which for a change feels the same as the course greens, I advise spending 15 minutes before teeing off working on long putts, it’s a certainty you’ll have 5 or 6 very long putts at some point and it’s all too easy to 3 putt with a tiny lapse of concentration.

The course begins with a gentle par 4 before suddenly hitting you with a long par 3 needing big carry, then a succession of strong par 4’s which demand tee shots to avoid the heather to give you any chance of finding the greens in the right place. 8 & 9 being really tough, dog legs both needing big carries over the corners to have a hope of reaching in regulation. Woking isn’t long overall but there are some tough 400+ par 4’s which is where the course shows its teeth. The par 5’s feel like a break and are a good place to score albeit you still need to find the right place on the greens, the 15th green in front of the club house is a great place where you can hole a long glory putt or painfully 3 putt in front of the members enjoying their refreshments. Of the two nines the front has more interesting architecture, there is much more elevation change providing some excellent raised tee boxes and greens. The closing stretch is superb with the final hole tempting you to carry as much heather as you can to leave a wedge into the green protected by a tree and the pond. Overall just a fantastic experience, combined with excellent service it easily justifies its high ranking. As to where it sits in comparison to its close neighbours, the other two ‘w’s I don’t know. I played West Hill a couple of times many years ago and Worplesdon is still on the bucket list.

July 01, 2021