Woodbridge (Heath) - Suffolk - England

Woodbridge,
Suffolk,
IP12 2PF,

• +44 (0) 1394 382038

Woodbridge Golf Club is located a mere five minutes away from the beautiful market town, with its quaint Georgian shops and pubs. The golf club’s flagship, 18-hole heathland course, known simply as Heath, is well renowned, but taken alongside its cracking 9-holer called Forest, Woodbridge really is a delightful place to spend a day playing golf.

Founded in 1893, the formation of Woodbridge Golf Club was entirely due to Major Howey, who originally laid out six holes on parkland in front of his house. Intent on creating a first class course, the Major enlisted Davie Grant – the famous North Berwick professional – to find suitable land. Bromeswell Heath was eventually identified and the club moved to the heath. In 1908 a certain Mr Fryer redesigned the course and, some twenty years later, James Braid stepped in to reshape Woodbridge. Subsequently Fred W. Hawtree made further modifications to the layout.

“The best course in Suffolk today is, I think, an inland one, Woodbridge, though I say this with diffidence and with great respect for its friendly rival, Aldeburgh, which is likewise excellent,” wrote Bernard Darwin in The Golf Courses of Great Britain. “Woodbridge has everything in the world that one could desire except the sea. It has sand and bracken and gorse, beautiful turf and the smoothest of greens. There is a delightful feeling of being on a hill-top, there is a fine big view, and there is peace and quiet and rusticity.”

Measuring 6,299 yards from the medal tees, the Heath course is not long, but the golf is truly engaging. There isn’t a single poor hole on the course; many are excellent, varied and entertaining. Make your score on the front nine where there are two par fives, the back nine is a tough prospect with four par fours measuring in excess of 400 yards. The 14th, called “St Andrews Hill”, is one of our favourite two-shotters with its well-guarded two-tiered green. The 15th is a cracking one-shot hole which requires a well struck mid iron to reach the sanctuary of the elevated green which is jealously protected by six bunkers.

Martin Hawtree completed a bunker refurbishment project in 2020, with a dozen sand hazards completely rebuilt. At the same time, contractors removed gorse, scrub and trees in line with a long-term strategic plan developed by its STRI agronomist.

Reviews for Woodbridge (Heath)

Description: "Woodbridge Golf Club has everything in the world that one could desire except the sea. It has sand and bracken and gorse, beautiful turf and the smoothest of greens." Rating: 7.6 out of 10 Reviews: 19
James Smith

I’ve always been told about how magnificent this golf course is and one that I had to play. I was also told that I’d be completely satisfied with the round and taken aback by the majestic views, I can now confirm this is a fact.

Pulling into the golf course, you automatically get a feeling that you’re about to play an elite golf course. From the very nice pro shop with incredibly friendly staff, to the handy driving range, you get a sense from what’s about to come. Now I’ve always been a big believer that friendly members can make your round much more enjoyable and most importantly, make you want to come back. I was able to have a nice conversation with one of the member’s, who was more than happy to give me information about the club’s history and give valid points about why they believe their golf course should be the highest rated in Suffolk.

I must say that I really enjoyed the round. I love golf courses with tricky par 4s, easy par 3s and lovely attackable par 5s. The fairways reminded me of Norfolk based soil, with that beautiful spongy feel. The fairways were also magnificent and the tees were in phenomenal condition. You can really tell that this golf course is well looked after and see how proud the members are with how conditioned the course is. I thoroughly enjoyed the layout of the course and found myself looking back every now again to take in the beautiful scenery.

In conclusion, I do believe that this golf course is worthy of an overnight stay and deserves to be within the top 3 of Suffolk’s best courses.

March 04, 2022

James Reader

Well deserving of its place in the England top 100, Woodbridge could, for me, be ranked even higher. Its heathland setting provides wonderful turf for golf, even in December, and plenty of challenge from gorse and heather if you stray from the generously wide fairways. It’s also just a lovely place to be.

Some might argue that it’s a little lacking in length but, let’s be honest, who doesn’t enjoy a good quality short par 4? Woodbridge has several of them. That said, the pick of the holes for me are the 425 yard 14th, doglegging right downhill to a steeply tiered green, and the 190 yard par 3 15th that follows it.

Well worth a trip to Suffolk to play it, particularly when you also have Aldeburgh, Purdis Heath and Thorpeness within half an hour’s drive.

December 13, 2021

Nicholas Kjelgaard

Just returned from a trip to Suffolk and tried to play the top courses there. We started at Woodbridge which I must say was a thoroughly enjoyable. The welcome was terrific from both the members and staff.

The conditioning was very good, greens, tees and fairways all in good nick and the pace of play was pretty good. I think the stand out for this course are the par 3s they are all fantastic, with my favourite being 15, a really picturesque hole. In fact holes 14, 15 and 16 are my favourite run.

18 is a lovely finishing hole, I tried to take the corner and was just off line, if you can make it you will walk up with a big smile.

I think this has been said about the top courses in Suffolk before, but certainly Woodbridge for me should be higher, maybe not quite GB&I top 100 but certainly more than it's current ranking. I would advise you make the trip.

September 29, 2021

Mark Taylor

Woodbridge was the final stop during our short trip to Suffolk. Luckily the weather behaved and we enjoyed a gorgeous golf course and friendly welcome from the pro shop and clubhouse staff. Woodbridge is not particularly long and times is quite generous off the tee and unsurprisingly all of our group achieved their best scores of the trip. Smooth greens and fairways that were great to hit from no doubt helped. The start is fairly gentle with driver not required until the 3rd hole which is a loverly uphill par 5. All the par 3's are excellent with the 15th especially memorable. A trip to Suffolk should include both Purdis Heath and Woodbridge which are terrific heathland courses in great condition.

July 14, 2021

Josh

Playing Woodbridge this evening in glorious weather marks me playing the 4th and final golf course in Suffolk featured in the top 100 in England.

If you take away the likes of Surrey and surrounding areas, Suffolk really has some great courses to offer. 3 within a 25 mile strip stretching from Suffolk out to the coast and boy did they leave the best to last!

I think Woodbridge may have taken my heart. Given it's been a while since I've played Purdis Heath but I genuinely struggle to think of reasons why this isn't higher in the list! Yes it's not manicured to the standard of the Surrey lot, but the condition is still very good. Fairways like carpet and greens rolling very well.

Woodbridge isn't the longest course, and good scores certainly present themselves if you can manage to avoid the gorse and bunkers! The fairway bunkers are well placed and deep making it a very tough par save. The turf is beautiful to hit off and I could imagine it would be superb in winter too.

A lot of sloped terrain proves for some brilliant views, pictures don't do it justice! I have been known to be very critical of courses, but I could happily sit on one of the many well positioned benches and watch the world go by!

The clubhouse isn't the prettiest to look at, but the people were incredibly friendly. I could imagine it provides a very good atmosphere watching a competition play the 18th hole from the pavilion.

All in all, Suffolk wouldn't be the highest on your list to play, but you'll be glad when you do. Play this alongside Purdis Heath, which adds a more foresty feel, Aldeburgh which will give you a much more coastal option, then Woodbridge sits very happily in the middle!

Follow me on my adventure! https://www.instagram.com/ginger.golf/

June 01, 2021

Chris Wanless

Suffolk may not be the first location people think of when planning a trip in England, but I can assure you there are some hidden gems in this part of the world, plenty of which I am sure I am yet to discover. A two day visit with some friends afforded me the chance to revisit a club I am a big fan of in Ipswich and the opportunity to play Woodbridge Golf Club for the first time.

With Woodbridge it is best to form your opinion of the club once you have walked past the tired looking clubhouse, for on the other side is a ruggedly beautiful rolling golf course with 18 varied holes which were a huge pleasure to play.

Most golf clubs would bite your hand off for the turf and terrain that is on offer at Woodbridge. Despite the lack of rain in recent months, the fairways were in great condition and some of the springiest as I have played on these shores. The course naturally undulates and plays in all different directions with a couple of cross fairways coming into play. The course is short, measuring only 6,299 off the whites, so it is extremely scoreable with the course’s main protection coming from the superb bunkering and run off areas around the greens. I understand there is a large heather regeneration project underway, which is probably needed to add more protection.

There were many highlights throughout the round. All of the Par 3s are good and visually impressive with the bunkering layout, but the back nine seemed to throw out one good hole after another and the closing stretch from 14 to home is worth the journey alone. The 14th is a superb Par 4, played over heather into sweeping downhill fairway to a two tiered green. The 15th is the best one shotter on the course, the 16th is a long Par 4 with a cambered fairway, 17th a pretty dogleg right Par 4 playing over the 4th green and the 18th a classy short Par 4 with bunkers running the width of the fairway. A good closing birdie opportunity, which I duly obliged.

There was an overriding sense of fun when I walked off Woodbridge and it is a course that I wouldn’t tire of knocking it around with some friends. This was the last of the three 18 hole Suffolk courses currently residing in the England Top 100 rankings that I have played and I can’t understand why Woodbridge languishes so far below Ipswich and Aldeburgh. I would have it ranked higher than Aldeburgh and it is certainly more varied. Woodbridge is a course that should be visited if in Suffolk, but Suffolk should be an area on everyone’s golfing ‘to do’ list.

For all photos of reviews, please follow Chris’ Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/top.100.golf/

May 07, 2021

Andy Newmarch

A game at Woodbridge is always a treat and something to look forward to – my recent visit has seen the course experience improve with the very needed woodland management program well underway. Approaches and aprons around all greens are much improved too and it is clear that the green-staff are doing a great job.

Similarly, to Keith’s opinion below (Dec ‘18), I too find it difficult to put much distance in terms of ranking between Suffolk’s Top 3 courses, maybe I would have Woodbridge slightly ahead of Aldeburgh but only just.

Excuse the pun but rankings are not really on a level playing field as the links and heathland courses will be many golfers favourite styles forever and Woodbridge has that heath advantage and probably why it will always hold a county Top 3 and country Top 100 position for years to come. The obvious quick draining conditions are a huge plus point.

A couple of under 350-yard par-4’s open the round (how kind) – with the approach to the 2nd being the toughest shot – anything under-hit will not stay on the putting surface and may even end up in the pond short and right. Anything over hit and you are left with a horrible downhill part – a par is a very strong score.

The 5th hole is a favourite of mine; 371 yards and named, ‘Hole O’Cross’ – it has a slight turn to the right to a fairway sloping to the left towards perfectly placed bunkering. Further strong bunkering on either side of the green and great run-offs complete the hole. As a slight comparison, think of the 7th on the Old course at Sunningdale.

The front nine ends fairly quickly with short holes at the 7th and 9th. The 9th is interesting at 198 yards; called ‘Magazine’ (need to research why this name) with bunkers left and right at the green but also at around 50 yards short of the putting surface. Not sure who is targeted by these hazards but could be a little harsh for that occasional topped tee shot?

The back nine is brilliant from start to finish with some serious par-4’s that are so tough to score on. Four of these are 400 yards or more and have stroke indexes to reflect this. The 14th (St. Andrews Hill) at 425 yards is my choice of back-nine ‘pick’; a hole that plays a little downhill and slopes a little to the right; plenty of heather covering the right-side, impressive tree clearance to the left and a multi-level long green – faultless.

The 17th hole from the tee is a bit of a conundrum and not an easy hole to hit in two. Tee shots must favour the left-side on this uphill shot as they will find their way back to the right naturally – the approach to the green, which is now to the left and up on high is a big shot, with many balls ending up short and right – a very popular spot.If there is an observation to discuss on Woodbridge’s Heath course, I would say that having no par-5’s on the back nine could be worth looking at – the 16th (currently at 445 yards) an obvious candidate for a potential upgrade.

Playing to handicap on this par-70 course is a tough ask, especially for visitors but Woodbridge is such a joy to even just walk around and you will have a great time even if your game is not quite there. Highly recommended and a must play.

September 04, 2020

Jan Sheargold

I played this course on February 11th in Storm Dennis. I was made welcome from the moment I entered the Pro shop. I was a single golfer and was called through by members. The course was in fantastic condition. Every hole was a challenge, even more so in the high winds. I loved each and every hole. If I lived closer I would definitely be a member. Highly recommend you to play it.

February 20, 2020

T P Dean

Don’t judge this book by its cover as behind the architecturally dreadful 1960s clubhouse is one of heathland golf’s true hidden treasures. For starters, the ground conditions must be the envy of courses for miles around. Woodbridge is laid across some outstanding sandy turf that’s a joy to hit from making this a remarkable Winter course. Considering that this has been one of the wettest periods on record for the UK, the course was bone-dry and I was informed by some proud members in the group behind us that the course never shuts for frost and the greens are always in play.

The club has employed course designer Martin Hawtree and taken the brave but rewarding step to undertake large scale tree clearance to allow the heathland to regenerate, returning the course back to its origins and it’s already coming on a treat. Sand has also been replaced in all of the bunkers over Winter, some of which have been rebuilt.

The front nine of the course as a whole is Woodbridge (Heath) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer good without being outstanding. Scoring chances present themselves through the first few holes via a combination of short par fours and an uphill par five, whilst doglegs, cross bunkers and smatterings of gorse keep you on your toes through the next few holes. The opening nine ends on a high though as a medium length par three from an elevated tee plays towards a green encircled by bunkers, reminiscent of the 13th at Worplesdon.

However, it’s the returning nine that is the reason to visit Woodbridge as the terrain takes on more interest and rolls through some gorgeous heathy land. The holes have some delightful names too; Lion’s Den, the 11th, plays through a dip with a mid fairway marker-post reminding me of the Cairngorms gem that is Boat of Garten. 13, The Ditch, is the doppelganger of the 14th at Broadstone as you play to a steadily rising fairway before yet more cross bunkers impede your journey and need to be negotiated on your approach to the green. As others before me have said, 14, St Andrews Hill is the star of the show. This is a downhill curving par four to a two-tiered green embedded into the side of a hill and stands up to some of the best heathland holes I’ve played. After playing another lovely par three, the 16th fairway crosses back over the 14th before 17 and 18 play parallel to one another across another large depression, 18 being a charming finishing hole with a sharp dogleg playing semi-blind around an incline.

Even with the course improvements that are ongoing, I still think the course has more potential. For example, 17 would benefit from some major bunker reconstruction around the green. Extending the right-hand side bunker so it sits more square-on to the approaching golfer would make the second shot to this green more attractive whilst simultaneously introducing a fierce, deep hazard that allows for a little jeopardy toward the end of the round. Hopefully the club’s investment continues.

Wrapping up my round, there was an overriding sense of joy that I got from completing my eighteen holes on the Heath course that I haven’t had when playing some more high profile clubs. It’s the ideal Winter course, but I may have to pay a return visit when the heather is in flower towards the end of Summer and all of the upgrades have had time to fully bed-in. Once it fulfils its obvious potential, I’d like to think Woodbridge will start to get more attention from those travelling from further afield.

February 19, 2020

Matt Stables

Woodbridge is one of those courses you could play everyday and not get bored. It's a wonderful piece of land with a great layout. It offers a great mix of challenge and playability with each hole asking it's own questions.

The sand based turf means it plays really well all year around. Even on the wettest winter day it drains so well you don't really need waterproof trousers.

My favourite holes are the 2nd, 14th and 17th. The 17th is a unique hole and takes some working out as a deceiving dog let right. But, take a good look after from the 4th green to work out a line to take.

The forest course is also excellent. Slightly different style with some smaller greens but is a very enjoyable 9 holes.

The clubhouse, food, and practice facilities are also very good. The staff are very welcoming and couldn't be more helpful.

One of my favourite courses..

February 10, 2020