Review for Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)

It was with high expectations that our group arrived on the first tee of the Hotchkin. A warm up round on the Bracken, a pint and a nice intro by the starter had us chomping at the bit.

As early as the second green I felt we were on a special course. The bunkering, mentioned by many of the reviewers here, is exceptional and demands constant attention and the spongy fairways are a joy. Melting a crisp 5-iron from the fairway of the 5th was worth the green fee alone.

The design and layout is a strategic test but equally just good fun. The course weaves you in different directions with the wispy, heathery rough defining each hole on the front 9 with trees shaping the holes on the back. You want to play well to do the holes justice.

Driving the ball well is a must (I didn’t) and if you can we felt there were good scores to be had. The greens weren’t that difficult in our opinion.

Overall there’s no doubt it’s a great course. Woodhall Spa is a decent little golf weekend break and worth a journey. Not sure if the global ranking is fully accurate if I’m honest but it doesn’t matter. My only real criticism is they need some better beer in the clubhouse.

Date: July 05, 2021

Read all reviews about Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)