Review for Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)

Just played the Hotchkin and the Bracken courses at Woodhall Spa - played the Bracken first then the Hotchkin in the afternoon, made for a great 36 holes of golf - the Bracken is well worth playing if you are there for the day, merits a 4 in my opinion, only 2 or 3 weak holes, superb condiiton, and you need to plot your way around. The Hotchkin was very good - but perhaps I was expecting too much given its elevated status. Yes it was very challenging indeed, and yes it is a beautiful golf course, but I found the bunkering to be verging on the silly - I am a single figure golfer, I imagine to the higher handicapper they must be nigh on impossible to escape from? To me, this course is very similar to Alwoodley in Leeds - with the only major difference being the bunkering. I'm not sure if it adds anything to the course. In summary though, it is a fantastic golf course and a pleasure to play, would thoroughly recommend it. I would not however place it as high in the rankings as number 2 in England, number 9 in the UK or 18 in the world - those rankings to me do not tally up.

Date: August 23, 2008

Read all reviews about Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)