Review for Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)

I played both the Bracken and Hotchkin on my visit. Firstly I must say that Bracken course is not one to be ignored. For a second course it is very good and in fact I scored less well on it than on the Hotchkin (partly to do with lack of a warm up though!). It weaves between trees and provides some challenging holes in places like the 4th, 8th, 14th, 16th (possibly the hardest par three I played as the green is very narrow and when I played it, it was into a 3 club wind!). However the main course the Hotchkin is a delight. Quite narrow and plenty of sand (however fortunately I did not encounter much.) There are no weak holes on the course as the deep heather and sand provides plenty of challenge. Although sometimes said to be flat as a pancake the greens were actually very deceptive and only a handful of putts were holed in our fourball throughout the round (although putting is my worse aspect of my game the others weren't bad!). However despite the courses many awards and claims to brilliance for me it did actually lack that little spark. No doubt it is a fantastic course and the weather was a bit dull, but it didn't get my heart racing… it is quite hard to put but I hope I am getting my point across! One minor critisism is that the welcome although also fine seemed a bit robotic and cold however bar staff were fantastic! But as I payed £35 in June for both courses (on a junior rate) I cannot complain a single bit (even though I have!!!)

Date: June 22, 2009

Read all reviews about Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)