Situated half way between Bognor Regis and Brighton, close to the Iron Age hill fort of Cissbury Ring in the South Downs National Park, Worthing Golf Club dates back to 1905, when Harry Vardon designed an initial 18-hole layout for the club.
Shortly after the First World War, Harry Colt was commissioned to redesign the course, creating the No. 1 (Lower) largely within a valley and the No. 2 (Upper) on the ridges above, with each of these tracks extending to eighteen holes.
The Lower course is the more challenging of the two layouts, featuring a demanding stretch of holes played just before the turn in a valley known as Deep Bottom, while the Upper course enjoys wide panoramic views, from Beachy Head to the Isle of Wight.
Highlight holes on the Lower include the 122-yard 9th (the shortest of the par threes with a heavily sand-protected raised green), the 447-yard 12th (rated stroke index 2 with out of bounds left of the fairway), and the 394-yard 18th, which plays to a bowl-shaped home green.