It is known that members of the Gresford Golf Club, which later became Gwersyllt Park Golf Club, played organised golf in the Wrexham area around the end of the 19th century. When this club also folded, Wrexham Golf Club came into being in 1906, with golfers playing on a 9-hole layout at Stansty.
A big decision was made in 1923 to move the club to its current site on the north eastern edge of Wrexham when James Braid was called in to lay out an 18-hole course for the members on a relatively small property extending to just over a hundred acres. The new layout opened on 27th August 1924 with a total length of 6,172 yards, playing to a bogey of 75. Unfortunately, the Air Ministry requisitioned a third of the site for an airfield in 1940 to help in the war effort.
The course has retained little of Braid's original design input, with perhaps only three or four of his greens remaining in play, and it has been stretched a little over time to its current length of 6,131 yards from the white tees. Three of the five par threes on the card are played on the back nine but – measuring no less than 160 yards from the medal tees – they are not exactly easy, short holes.
The hardest hole on the course is played at the 7th, a 433-yard par four, left doglegged hole where the fairway follows the valley curving right to left to an elevated green protected by a large bunker to the front right hand side. Even a bogey five here feels like a par.
Surprisingly good course with a great clubhouse and a superb variety of challenging holes. Very good condition. Well worth a visit