The 7,055-yard South course at the NCR Country Club has become known as the “thinking man’s course” because accuracy rather than length is key to a good score on this heavily wooded layout.
The late John Henderson McConnell founded the Double Eagle Club and the golf course was designed by the partnership of Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish, opening for play in 1991.
The Pepper Pike Club’s next door neighbour, The Country Club, grabs most of the attention in this east end Cleveland suburb with both clubs sharing the architectural heritage of William Flynn.
Designed by Pete Dye and his brother Roy, Fowler’s Mill Golf Course extends to three 9-hole circuits, named Lake, River and Maple, with the former two comprising the 7025-yard premier 18-hole layout.
The Virtues Golf Club (formerly Longaberger) is a dramatic Arthur Hills design from 1999 and the challenge here is epitomised by the long par five 4th hole, where the fairway drops 150 feet between tee and green.
Harvey Firestone, founder of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company, originally established the Firestone Country Club in the late 1920s as a park for his employees.
Springfield Country Club was formed in 1898, but the course in play today is a 1922 Donald Ross design where a number of important events have been staged down the years...
One of three 18-hole courses to be found at Firestone Country Club, the North is an engaging Robert Trent Jones Snr layout that debuted in 1969, ten years after the South course was unveiled.
Bordered by the Black River, the old course at Elyria Country Club is a 1920s William Flynn layout that has handled the golfing tests of time rather well.
Alister MacKenzie drew up the plans for the golf complex at Ohio State University in the early 1930s but the doctor died soon afterwards so Perry Maxwell was given the contract.