The Country Club of York celebrated its centenary in 1999 by hosting the 52nd edition of the US Junior Amateur Championship on its Donald Ross-designed course.
Sympathetically redesigned and renovated by Bobby Weed in 2003, the course at White Manor Country Club offers its members a very walkable game of golf in secluded surroundings.
In 2002, eighty years after A.W. Tillinghast’s classic old Wissahickon course debuted at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, the club unveiled its new 18-hole Militia Hill course, which was laid out over an old Revolutionary War encampment by the design duo, Hurdzan and Fry.
Rees Jones laid out the course at Lookaway Golf Club, fashioning holes through open and forested terrain, with many of the fairways flanked by trademark sets of multiple bunkers.
Golf was played at Havertown on sand-based greens under various club names from 1895 to 1916, but Llanerch Country Club wasn’t officially formed until 1919, by which time the greens had been grassed.
Squeezed into a tight and rather hilly property, the course at Whitemarsh Valley Country Club hosted the 1934 U.S. Women's Amateur and the Philadelphia Open between 1963 and 1980. Five of its holes utilize the Wissahickon Creek as an intimidating water hazard.
Designed by Michael Hurdzan and Dana Fry, the course at Olde Stonewall Golf Club is set out in two distinct circuits with a low country front nine and an undulating back nine that exhibits a number of elevation changes.
Celebrating the 100th anniversary of its opening in 2014, the West course at Merion is another Hugh Wilson design that lies a few blocks away from its older sibling, the legendary East course.
The North course at Stonewall appeared in 2003, ten years after the Old course – an early Tom Doak project – was unveiled. The North is more open than its older sibling, featuring greens that require a modicum of approach shot strategy.
Castle Shannon Golf Club and Mt. Lebanon Country Club merged to form St. Clair Country Club in 1916, though the 27-hole golf course is of more recent vintage, first opening in the mid-1950s. Keith Foster renovated the layout in 2007.