Shepparton Golf Club began with a course of “nine sandscrape holes” in 1922. Additional land was secured over the following four decades, allowing Sam Berriman to set out the club’s present course on a 136-acre site in the late 1950s.
Formed in 1895, Ballarat Golf Club acquired additional land to construct new holes in 2009. As some of the original layout remains in play, the club claims to still play on the site of the oldest 18-hole course in Australia.
The cliff top course at Flinders Golf Club was one of few golfing layouts that Alister MacKenzie advised on during his famous visit to Royal Melbourne in 1926 and today’s short par four 4th is a direct result of his recommendations.
Situated fifty-six kilometres north of Melbourne city centre, the Club Mandalay Golf Course is a modestly contoured Peter Thomson design which was converted into a championship layout from rather flat, featureless grazing farmland.
Leongatha Golf Club was formed in 1901, but today’s course is situated midway between Leongatha and the coastal town of Inverloch. Vern Morcom (son of Mick Morcom) fashioned the layout from native bushland in the late 1950s and it’s a Victorian Gippsland delight.
The 36-hole Rosebud Country Club has been a golfing destination on the Mornington Peninsula since the early 1960s. Towering pine trees frame the fairways on the North course, where the Australian PGA Championship was held back in 1976.
Portarlington Golf Club celebrated its centenary in 2009 and the club has occupied its existing site overlooking Port Phillip Bay since moving from the old Racecourse Reserve in 1937. Architect Tony Cashmore has been advising at the club since 1996.
Eagle Ridge Golf Course is extensively landscaped, featuring waterfalls, ornamental lakes and beach bunkers. It’s a resort-style championship track famed for its spectacular par three holes, especially the 170-metre 6th, which plays to a two-tiered green.
Formerly known as the Essendon Club, which came into being in 1896, the club moved to the present 141-acre site, a few miles north at Glenroy, in 1912 and was renamed, Northern Golf Club.
Moving to its present location in the early 1960s, Lakes Entrance Golf Club gradually transformed a rather bleak, swampy area covered in coastal banksias, wattle and tea tree into the splendid 18-hole layout that’s in play nowadays.