Alhaurin - Southern Spain - Spain

• Not known

• Seve Ballesteros

• Not known

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Alhaurin

Situated in the mountains between Mijas and Coín, the spectacular 18 holes at Alhaurin offer some of the most challenging golf to be found anywhere on the Costa del Sol. Opened for play in 1994, this Seve Ballesteros-designed course is laid out on seriously hilly terrain, providing a stiff test for golfers.

With fairways climbing up, plunging down and hanging onto the side of the Mijas mountains, a round at Alhaurin requires a strategic approach so accuracy is essential in every department of the golf game – otherwise a moderate green fee here will seem small change compared to the cost of lost golf balls!

Some commentators feel this course is a touch too eccentric to be termed enjoyable yet many golfers return for the challenge (and the wonderful views) year after year.

Reviews for Alhaurin

Description: Situated in the mountains between Mijas and Coín, the spectacular 18 holes at Alhaurin offer some of the most challenging golf to be found anywhere on the Costa del Sol. Rating: 5 out of 6 Reviews: 2

I have played virtually all the courses on the Costa del Sol but I had been warned not to bother with Alhaurin. Anyway, I felt obliged to knock it off my list and so I ignored the advice and paid it a visit last week. Playing off 15, I could not be considered a low handicapper and my game can be very errant!! But, this course is much more playable than I was expecting. OK, I had a pretty good day for me (34 points) and, most unlike me, I kept the driver in my bag much of the time but I had a great time plotting my way around the course. It was in lovely condition, the views are superb and the clubhouse, food and service was more than up to scratch. I guess that playing well always helps but I reckon Alhaurin is well worth a visit. Great value too in the summer months. I had a ball and did not lose many either!!
Alhaurin
July 09, 2013

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
If You think You're a good putter try this one !!! This golf course has one of the most difficult greens in the World ! Course layout is difficult but not very difficult , You just have to watch the course before You hit the ball to use the slopes. But getting to the green is a piece of cake when compared to putting nightmare. Because tell me what gives You greens in regulation when You have at least 40 putts on 18 holes and struggle to put the ball in to the hole from 1 foot gimmies range??? Some say it's overdesigned , and in terms of greens i agree. Golf course is properly maintained and there is a good food in the clubhouse but this putting .... just try by Your own .
Alhaurin
November 20, 2009

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Sehmi
February 24, 2012
This course is a beauty a hidden gem with breathtaking views. I have never putted on greens so quick, 3 putted every green, there are no gimmies here. Seve designed this course I think for himself when he was the undisputed king in the 80s