Golf was first played at Arcachon in the mid-1890s on the estate of the Exshaw family. In 1903, their 9-hole course was acquired by the municipality, allowing local golfers to play on what had previously been a private layout.
Over time, the popularity of golf declined and the club folded just before the start of World War II.
In the mid-1950s, moves were made to resurrect the golf club and Cecil Blandford – who worked on a number of post-war European golf projects with Peter Gannon – was called in to design a new 18-hole layout which opened for play in 1960.
Today, the course extends to 5,760 metres from the back markers, playing to a par of 72 (37 out followed by 35 in), with three par fives on the outward half contributing to a front nine that’s almost 600 metres longer than the back nine.
Highlight holes include the par four 8th and par four 13th (rated stroke index 1 and 2) where both fairways dogleg left to their respective greens. Also of interest is the last of the five par three holes at the 17th, which is also the shortest of the one-shotters on the card.