Brampton Park - Cambridgeshire - England

Brampton,
Huntingdon,
Cambridgeshire,
PE28 4NF,

Woods and lakes abound, with the fairways winding around an undulating parkland landscape. The course “is dissected by the River Lane,” writes David Hamilton in The Golfers Guide to East Anglia, “with 11 holes to the north and the other seven to the south, while water comes into play on most holes… the 16th hole has been named ‘Badger Alley’ due to the abundance of badger sets lining the fairway.

It’s a course that requires every club in the bag. Its signature hole, the short 4th, has a green almost completely surrounded by water and is sure to stick vividly in the mind of any golfer who plays it. Another demanding hole is the 14th which features several water hazards among which is an old sluice which has been restored.

The River Great Ouse forms a natural boundary to part of the course, and Brampton Brook, with its various tributaries, dissects the course adding further interest for the keen golfer.”

Reviews for Brampton Park

Description: The course at Brampton Park Golf Club is a Martin Hawtree and Simon Gidman design, which opened for play in 1991. Woods and lakes abound, with the fairways winding around an undulating parkland landscape. Rating: 5 out of 10 Reviews: 1
James Smith

Played here today for the first time as I needed to tick off my Cambridge courses and I must say it was defiantly interesting. It’s a course that has a lot of potential and with a couple changes could be sitting higher on this list. I think to say this is a course you are happy to pay £25 for is quite a valid statement. The oddest thing for me about this course if there are some holes that genuinely to top tier and make you think you’ve got an absolute bargain with the green fee but on the other hand there are some holes that frankly aren’t up to the same standard which for me really let the course down. There seems to be an obsession with having water hazards all over the place which for me is a little strange and with most of the course being guarded with barbed wire it does add a little bit of a unneeded tension if you get a way would shot and made my partner need to grab some more balls even though it wasn't really that far out of bounds. The greens where in lovely condition but I do annoyingly have to say the fairways were rock hard which did effect the ability to take normal divots. I feel like this course is one you should play if you are in the area but it does also make me wonder why courses like “bar hill”, “girton” and “boune” are not listed.

April 25, 2022

BB
April 26, 2022

James - I’m disappointed this photo isn’t tilted at a 45 degree angle. I’d started to appreciate the technique and felt you were on to something

James Smith
April 27, 2022

I’ll have to bring back the horizontal photos on the next review.